From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Soma576@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:44 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] power drains....

Hey Group,

I have had a mysterious power drain this summer and I finally had some time

to tackle it.  I hooked up my meter and found a 0.05A draw when the car was

shut down and the doors closed.  I found that my Lockzilla was drawing
about
0.014A (is that normal? I know it draws SOME), there was a fluctuation
between
0.000 and 0.001 that I could not trace (probably the digital MM  quantizing
the imperfections in the leads), and the remainder was in the  door
buzzer/horn
circuit.  I found that my horn was not working, so I  unplugged all the
wires
on the horns and put them back on.  The horns  worked again and the draw
disappeared.

What was happening?  This makes no sense to me!

I had also noticed a high-pitched, faint whining sound from the door buzzer

sometimes even though my wires for the buzzer are removed from the door
switch
 and tucked away so they aren't touching.  After putting the wires back
onto
the horns,  this sound appears to have stopped as well.  I  had previously
removed the harness from the buzzer box and cleaned the  connections, which
had
no effect on the whining or the power draw.

I also think my battery is fried.  It is a year old, however it left  my
stranded today and I needed a jump.  The alt puts out 14.3V, and the
battery
registered 12.5V before I tried to start the car.  It cranked about  4 times
then
slowed until it would not crank.  The battery now reads  12.2V.  Does that
mean it cannot handle a load, even though there is enough  voltage?  It's on
trickle charger now and I will get it tested  tomorrow.

Any thoughts on these events?

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews