[DML] A DeLorean I looked at today.. FOR SALE

[DML] A DeLorean I looked at today.. FOR SALE

Someone sent a message to the DMA officers asking for
help in selling his 1981 DeLorean.  Due to the current
lack of a "technical officer", I was nominated to look
at the car on behalf of the club.  :)

The current owner is looking to sell, and (of course)
maximize his sale price.

Car is located in West Orange, NJ.

Here is what I observed;

Aug 81 build.  Vin is in the 3xxx range. 5 speed,
Gray, groove hood (no flap).

Inspection sticker of 1987, so it has been off the
road for a while.

Odometer is about 7K

Interior is in good shape.  The leather has lost it's
ripple, but it is not too faded or worn.  There is a
very small crack in the binnacle, dash is in good
shape.  Needs new headliners.

Frame was in good shape.  No significant rust.  There
was a small amount of surface rust color around the
edges of the steel.

NCT tires, all flat.

Engine starts right up and runs smooth.  Revs well
too.  He claims the car was stored without fuel, and
he put a small amount in recently to fire it up.

Clutch is shot.  If you put the car in gear and let
the clutch up with the brake on, the engine does slow
and the car lurches forward but the engine does not
stall.  The clutch hydraulics are also not great.  It
is possible the slave is leaking and has saturated the
clutch disk.

The brakes may not be good either, as nothing was done
to prep the hydraulics for the long storage.  The
tires were flat so the car could not be road tested.

Stainless had no major damage.  There were some small
scratches that I noticed, and I could not get a good
look at the passenger side of the car (in a tight
garage).

The current owner is unsure how to proceed, but has
done research on the current value of the car and
seems to have high expectations of the price.  I hate
to say what the car is "worth", as value is in the eye
of the beholder...  but based on other cars I have
seen sold recently I think he could get $16k for this
car.

He is considering making the car "road worthy" to
increase the selling price.

No matter what the car sells for, I think it is a
solid restoration candidate.  It looks like all of the
major "stuff" is there.

If you are in the market for such a car, drop me a
note and I will get you in touch with the owner.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)