[DML] Re: Radiator Story

I wholeheartedly agree with what everyone is saying. Getting coolant
all over your engine is bad. Overheating is VERY bad. And drive the
thing, don't let it sit. That's what it's for! Oddly enough, on both
accounts, my DeLorean (ironically) just passed the 88K mile mark.
Although I have an NOS-never used til 2005-radiator, I bought John
Hervey's complete water pump kit, thermostat, pulley, etc. the whole
nine yards. And I must say I am more than happy that I had that done!
I also added the bleeder hose, as my water pump and radiator were both
leaking like a sieve. Thankfully, I no longer have any problems.

..at the moment. [Knock on stainless] Grr. Stupid car. :) I love that
stupid car. Now if only I could find a Fanzilla.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> Sounds like as good story but I ain't buying it. A radiator can be
> flushed, you might have to do it with acid to get the gook out but it
> can be done. Now here is what I believe to be the real story. The car
> keeps losing coolant. The previous owner replaced the radiator
> thinking that was the problem. Didn't help.  Since he still was losing
> coolant he put some stop-leak in and that plugged up the radiator but
> he was still losing coolant. The REAL source of the problem are the
> seals on the top of the motor under the intake manifold. When you have
> leaks under there you never see the coolant on the floor, it gets
> caught on the top of the motor where it is evaporated. You need to do
> the Master Water Pump Kit. Fun job. Don't skimp on it. The motor can
> take a lot of abuse but it doesn't take kindly to overheating! If you
> think it is expensive doing the Master Water Pump Kit wait till you
> overheat the motor! Do all of the hoses, belts, idler pulley bearings,
> water pump, seals, gaskets, thermostat, and Otterstadt switch and
> seal. Before you reassemble the top of the motor pressure test the
> cooling system up to 15 psi for 15 minutes. It has to hold tight with
> NO leaks. You should also replace the header bottle with the metal
> one. With all this and your metal radiator your cooling sytem will be
> bulletproof. The only way to improve on it would be to do something
> better than the fan fail bypass, like the Fanzilla if you can find
> one. This seems to be one of the initiation rites for Delorean owners
> that find a low mileage "gem".
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rick Heile" <rick.heile@> wrote:
> >
> > A few weeks ago I posted asking how to be sure I fully filled the
> > coolant in the car. I have a 150 mile round trip to work and it seems
> > that when I get back home I was down a quart. Maybe there was an air
> > bubble in the system somewhere and I wanted to get it out.
> >
> > Well that was not the problem. Before I bought this Delorean it sat
> > for untold years in a barn. I knew this was the case when I purchased
> > it and did all of the normal things that have been discussed here

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)