[DML] Re: Pre-Purchase Inspection

Join a local Delorean club if there is one nearby BEFORE you buy. They
can help you locate one, inspect, teach you, and maybe give you
background on the one you are looking at. Get the vin # and call the
vendor that serviced it. They may have some records and can tell you
some of it's history. If you are paying a lot of money the best
investment you can make is to have an expert (or at least someone
knowledgeable) inspect the car for you so at least you have *some*
idea of what you are in for. Since you say you are not "mechanical"
you will not want a beater with a lot of expensive surprises. Some of
the areas you need to inspect include:
TAB's
Frame rust
Brake system (color and condition of the fluid)
Doors (Operation, alignment and adjustment)
Electrical system (updates modifacations)
Fuel system
Fluid levels
Cooling system
Idle quality of the motor
Updates, recalls, collision damage, S/S condition, etc
If an automatic, shift quality and fluid condition; if a manual 2-3
shift, 5th gear, shift linkage
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by your post.  First you suggest using a
regional repair facility, then you mention a fellow owner.  (?)

> In either case, a "normal" repair shop would be almost useless, as
they don't know the expensive items to look for.  You'd be better off
getting a fellow owner/expert to help, or a DeLorean-specific shop to
look it over.  If you go for the former, you'll probably want to start
by posting your real name, and most of us are happy to help.

> DMC also has a nice checklist here:
http://www.delorean.com/files/report.pdf

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional