[DML] Re: Dave Teitlebaum & Tom Neiland win the Fix Dave Delman's igniti

[DML] Re: Dave Teitlebaum & Tom Neiland win the Fix Dave Delman's ignition problem con

I don't think anything "went bad". I am guessing that because the gaps
were not even and correct the ECU was confused by the signal. By Dave
adding the resistor it had a dampening effect and made the ECU happier
with the crummy signal. By his installing the distributer I had (which
I had very carefully checked and set the gaps so they are all equal
and correct) the ECU now sees a nice signal so the resistor is no
longer needed. That stator inside the distributer is a light gauge
metal and easily bent. The Detecting coil (impulse coil/pick-up coil)
seems to usually fail either completely or intermittantly, it does not
seem to change the operation of the motor once it is running. From
this diagnosis we can conclude that the gapping of the stator to the
poles of the coil affect the quality of the spark. This could be one
of the many underlying causes of most of the rough idle complaints we
see from time-to-time. When trying to get the idle right any and all
minor adjustments and leaks add up to ruin the quality of the idle.
The problem is, it is difficult to examine and adjust the gap because
the distributer is so hard to access. Under "normal" circumstances the
gap will never change. It takes someone sticking his fingers in there
to do it. Maybe the coil was changed in the distributer at some time
in the past. Removing and replacing the coil requires removal and
replacement of the stator. It could have been bent at that time and
not straightened out and regapped. We will never know for sure because
Dave is not the origional owner.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@...> wrote:

> Ok, Dave Now the question is how did the reluctor go bad or was it
just the
> Pulse coil none original wire.
> John Hervey

Behalf Of
> doctorDHD@...
> Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2007 5:06 PM
> To: undisclosed-recipients:
> Subject: [DML] Dave Teitlebaum & Tom Neiland win the Fix Dave Delman's
> ignition problem contest
>
> Here ye, here ye, here ye
>
> We have two winners in the Fix Dave Delman's Ignition  Problem Contest
>
> Dave Teitlebaum first made it know to me that the  reluctor gaps in
> distributor are fairly critical to proper performance and  he was kind
> enough to lend
> me an extra distributor that he  had.
>
> Not wanting to miss anything external to the  distributor, Tom
Neiland and I

> had a couple of very intensive tech sessions at  the Long Island New
York -
> DeLorean Motor Club's Evans Court clubhouse in  which we did side by
side
> scope
> readings of my car compared to a know properly  working ignition
system in
> his
> car.  We found that there was noise and  extra spikes coming out of my
> distributor.  We questioned the green wire I  had on mine,  wondering if
> that might
> be the problem and considered just  replacing the wire.
>
> Today we removed the distributor and took a better look  at the reluctor
> gaps
> and decided that, that was most likely the problem.   We installed
Dave T's
> dizzy and now all is working well, with No 2700 ohm  resistor!
>
> So I feel that we have two winners in the contest,  both of whom
declined
> the
> prize and both of whom I owe a BIG thank you and I've  promised to
take them

> out for a very nice dinner.
>
> It has long been obvious to me that the DeLorean  community is a
very close
> one and that we all chip in and help others as we  can.
>
> Dave Teitlebaum obvious goes above and beyond in this  area.  He's
helped me

> before and many many other DeLorean owners with his  time, knowledge and
> parts.
>
> Thank you Dave Teitlebaum.
>
> and thank you to a relatively new DeLorean owner Tom  Neiland.
>
> Dave Delman
> D² & 6530
> no more 2700  resistor!

> moderators@...