[DML] Re: Car's use of electricty / alternator & battery question

[DML] Re: Car's use of electricty / alternator & battery question

You are almost right. The battery is used to power the car's
electrical accesories when the motor is not running. The battery is
also used to power the starter to get the motor (and the alternator)
running. When the motor and the alternator are working, most of the
time the alternator is capable of carrying the entire electrical load
of the vehicle while also recharging the battery from what was used
when the motor wasn't running and what was used up during the cranking
of the motor. There are times when the alternator can't carry the
entire load. During those short peak times (when idling with max
electrical load) the electrical system will also draw power from the
battery. As in life everything is a matter of balance. If one
component is not working right the balance will be thrown off and
things will not work right. Too much current draw, a bad battery, an
alternator that can't put out it's rated capacity, all can cause
problems. The electrical system in a Delorean is very much like most
automobiles. One of the major differences is the grounding system.
Since the underbody is not metal everything has to be grounded to the
frame to get back to the battery. Another difference is that some
circuits are switched on the ground side which can make for some
unusual problems when the systems are not grounded properly and the
voltage feeds back into other circuits!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddlasvegas" <daviddlasvegas@...>
wrote:

> Question about the DMC power usage...
>
> Is the battery used just to start the car; or
> Is the battery used all the time for power and then recharged by the
> alternator; or
> Is the battery used just to start the car and after start up, the car
> draws power directly from the alternator ignoring the battery?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)