[DML] Re: Broken torsion bar

The bars are cryogenically manufactured torsion bars that
counterbalance the doors and were developed and manufactured by
Grumman Aerospace, and twisted at something like 220 degrees below
zero. (I may be off on the temperture)
The DeLorean torsion bar counterbalances the door by storing
torsional energy (in a way similar to how a spring stores energy when
compressed). The cryogenic manufacturing process was necessary in
order to strengthen the torsion bar for repeated long term operation
without the bar fatiguing or breaking.  The crystalline structure of
the material was modified in the process so that the "grain" (that
goes in one direction only,per the passenger door or the drivers
door). If you examine a DeLorean torsion bar you will see that it is
twisted along its axis several times over its short distance and each
bar (passenger and drivers side) is each twisted in the direction of
the torsional twist that is needed to open each side of the car,in
other words one has a left twist and one has a right twist,and they
cannot(and were made not to) be installed on the wrong side,each pair
of bars(left and right bar) were engineered so that you CANNOT
Possibly install a passenger torsion bar on the drivers side and a
drivers torsion bar on the passenger side.... This was done for
safety reasons,since if someone did somehow manage(nothing is
foolproof) to do just that the torsion bar would  instantly SNAP at
the moment you tried to shut the door,and CAUSE serious bodily damage
to any personal standing within the area,and also cause damage to the
vehicle....In other word do not attempt it,or the last thing you will
hear in this world is what will sound like a shot gun blast as the
torsion bar snaps and kills you...

Hope that scares anybody that dares to try...

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao@...> wrote:

> If push came to shove, would there be a way to alter a passsenger-
side
> torsion bar to work on the driver's side? I'd imagine this would be
an
> easier task than trying to retrofit a Delorean with another door
> opening system, or trying to remanufacture the extinct part.
>
> BTW: What ever happened to the spare driver-side torsion bars? Were
> they in the same box as the left-front fenders? :-)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)