From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
sweetp01569
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 1:32 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Bad Alternator?

For the past several months, the bearings on my alternator would
squeal a bit when starting the engine.  (I have an 82 with 30,000
miles on it). My mechanic confirmed that I'd need a new one sooner
or later.  On Saturday, when I started the car for a ride, the
engines started right up,then all of a sudden, cut out.  I started
it again, it ran for a few seconds, then just died again.  The car
started the third time, allowing me to start down the street.  After
a couple of miles, the engine just died again, where I had to coast
to a stop on the side of the road.  The car would not start after
that.  It would crank and crank, but did not fire up.  The voltmeter
showed about 8 volts.  After getting it towed home, I jumpered the
fuel pump to make sure it turned on.  It did.  I then tried to start
the car.  It kicked on for a second then died.  Battery still seems
to crank strongly, but no ignition.  Voltage still shows about 8
volts.  Is this symptoms of a bad alternator?

Thanks,

Paul
vin10944

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews