Re: [DML] Painted VS Stainless

I wouldn't be so sure that because your car is modified that it
wouldn't fetch as much money as a concourse vehicle. What you have to
remember is just as there are different categories of cars within a
marque, so are there a wide variety of car buyers as well.

Let me relate my own experience here. When I was ready to buy a
DeLorean, I had test a few cars, and sat in even more. But when I sat
in my car the first time, I fell in love with this particular car. And
what made the difference was the Patina. I didn't care about seat
condition or the stereo because I knew I'd be ripping those out. The
car was just so comfortable to sit in, because it was so warm and
inviting rather than garage cold and Amour-all callous. To this day my
DeLorean is the most comfortable car I've ever sat in even when
compared to other DeLoreans.

Now, am I putting down Garage Queens, and concourse cars? Absolutely
NOT! What I wanted out of a car, they just didn't offer me. Sure there
are people out there that will want as crisp and fresh of a car as
they can get. And that's perfectly alright. And there will be others
who want cars that are broken in a bit, if not able to customized
"guilt-free". And that's ok too.

Stock vs Customized vs Daily Driver vs Concourse vs Low mileage vs
High mileage vs Stainless vs Painted vs BTTF Conversion.... How much
longer can we possibly make this list before we realize that none of
these categories are actually in competition with one another?

Sure as an owner or potential buyer you can choose which category the
car you own or want to buy fits in. That's the easy part. And taking
it from there you can have those cars in those categories compete with
one another for either value or awards or however. But no, having the
categories themselves compete with one another isn't feasible. We can
say that perhaps certain categories can demand higher prices than
others certainly. But with the exception of a few people, money
doesn't have as large an impact upon the desirability of a car as you
might think. Ron's Modified, yellow painted D is proof of that. It's
won MANY awards, if not more than some concourse cars. Different
categories, sure. But if you were to put his car up against a
concourse car in a people's choice award, it will win. So, does that
suddenly mean that his car is more valuable than any restored or
survivor cars? It depends upon what angle you're looking at, doesn't it?

Sure, all things being the same a modified car is only limited by the
customizer's imagination. Where as a concourse car is a competition to
track down and find those missing pieces needed. So taking the
viewpoint of a prior post, let's analyze something:

*Modified car demands more money not because inherent value has
increased, but because you're paying for the labor and time spent on
buying and installing customized options. I.e. paint, stereo, etc.

*Concourse car demands more money not because inherent value has
increased, but because you're paying for the labor and time spent on
buying and installing rare original factory parts you're missing, or
things for bonus points. I.e. Ashtrays, A/T shifter knob, correct
carpet color, luggage & ski rack, etc.

So other than personal taste, and how much one is willing to spend
being the determining factors, there really isn't much difference
between our cars, is there? I like concourse, but I also like modified
too. I truly do appreciate the efforts of those who strive so hard in
one direction to be adhere to certain specifications, just as much as
others who with the same gusto try just as hard in the opposite
direction to be so unique. The more you step back and look at things,
the more you realize just how alike these two opposites are.

Now we can argue all day and kick each other in the groins debating
about what's better: a high, yet limiting standard of originality, or
the freedom of customization unleashed that doesn't suit everyone's
tastes and may even shock? All in the name of simply getting our own
opinions out there to dictate our own personal tastes to say which we
prefer when the irony of it all is that these two groups are
incomparable and there is no *right* or *correct* answer.

Come together and enjoy each other groups' work. Realize that dammit,
no matter what, you're all driving the same car underneath it all:
DeLoreans.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

Non-DeLorean follow-up to post:

Now on a separate response, as far as collector car auctions, "stock"
cars do not always fetch more money than modified cars. If you want to
look at one category that proves this, take a look at the trend now of
how Clone Cars are receiving higher bids than the originals that they
mimic. There are a slew of reasons why, most likely with being able to
enjoy the cars "guilt free" being the top one.

Shelbys & Yenkos are NOT customized cars. I'd have to research Yenko,
but most likely they're in the same boat as Shelby as being actual Car
Manufacturers like GM and Ford are. So you can't even legally count
them as modified cars. They are in fact "Stock" Shelbys and Yenkos.

Fun Fact: Next time you rent a U-Haul truck, read the manufacturer's
build plate. Despite saying "Ford" or "GMC" on the front of the
trucks, the build plates say "Manufactured by U-Haul" because legally
they are. Certain box trucks, Limousines, Hearses, and specialty
Sports cars are untitled, incomplete cab and chassis sold of to other
manufacturers who complete them as their final configurations. They
are NOT modified vehicles. Their deviation from a consumer
configuration is actually their "stock" configuration from the coach
builders. THAT is their factory configuration from their final builder.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dmc82@... wrote:

> In general "stock" collector cars bring more in the market place
rather than modified cars.
> Serious collectors and buyers like to know what they are getting. A
few notable exceptions are the cars modified by significant
aftermarket modifiers such as Shelby or Yenko. Once again people know
what they are getting for their money. My car is modified and I am
sure I could not get what I would have for it unmodified but I enjoy
it more.  I am sure you watch the car autions on TV and see this to
hold true. Original commands dollars!

> With the change of the concours event to a certification process it
has "opened" the event up to more levels of participants. The silver
level car at the most recent event had some suspension modifications
but was still competitive. Anyone that has looked at the new concours
manual knows that a car that has been certified to a level of a
standard set by this event is a car that they will once again know
what they are getting.

> Cecil Longwisch

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional