[DML] Re: Delorean Turbo

A correction to my post, it will cost about $650 for BOTH turbos and
it is recommended that you do both at the same time. It is also good
practice to replace the oil feed lines and change the motor oil and
filter. For the cars with turbos it is recommended to use synthetic
oil and it should be changed at no more than 5,000 mile intervals.
There should be no stickiness or binding in the wastegates or the
actuators and the control tubing MUST be leakfree. Good idea to
replace it when you rebuild the turbos.
IMHO the main reason you don't see turbos on a lot of cars without
computers is the control problems and the reliablity issues. Once
computer controled engine management systems became commonplace it was
more feasable to use turbos safely. You can use a lot more parameters
to control the turbos and prevent damage to the engine.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> A good question. There was an aftermarket turbo package derived from
> the Legend R & D. It was created by a former employee of Legend
> Industries.  It was called the Island Twin Turbo kit. It consisted of
> several castings including exhaust manifolds, 2 turbos and air pipes.
> Brackets and hardware to relocate the header bottle and alternator,
> mufflers and the later version 2 catalytic converters. As of now new,
> complete kits are not available. From time-to-time you may see parts
> on E-bay. In the conversion the basic motor was not changed except
> some water hoses, oil lines, and the distributer. Very important to
> keep the boost limited to under 6# or you blow the lands on the cast
> pistons. The claims were that it increased the horespower from 130 to
> 190. Not to be used on an automatic. Definately improved the
> performance but caused reliabilty issues. If you find a kit figure on
> having to rebuild the turbos. Parts for the turbos are getting scarce
> so if the vans on the fans are damaged it can get expensive. A simple
> bearing, seal, and balance is worth about $650 each and there are two
> of them.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ronkhanna" <ron.k@> wrote:
> >

> > Hello All,
> >
> > I happened to come across an old Road and Track Article on Tamir's
site
> > regarding Legend Industrie's development of a turbo version of the
> > Delorean.  In that article, the author mentioned he was able to test-
> > drive the prototype.  I'm curious to know why there is no aftermarket
> > turbo version based on the successful work of Legend Industries. Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Oh, and it's my first post, so please be gentle. ;)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ron K.
> > Oakville, ON

<*> Your email settings: