[DML] Strange Relay

My DMC, 6452 has a strange relay in the engine compartment.  On one
of my trips to Don at DMC Garden Grove, a number of years ago, he
indicated that it was a modification made at the QAC.

I have an extra relay, located right below the engine cover switch,
in the engine compartment.  The wiring harness for this relay is
clearly part of the main harness and appears to be original.  The
wires are as follows:

It gets a ground from the frame by the resister pack.

It gets a hot off of the main terminal next to the battery post in
the engine compartment.

It has a wire off of the number one terminal on the coil.

It has a wire to the starter.

It would appear, that when the starter is actuated, it trips the
relay which would then supply 12 volts directly to the coil.

What we be the purpose of this arrangement other than to increase the
voltage to the coil?  Is it necessary and should I leave it
installed?  I am reluctant to change anything as it starts fine and
runs great and it looks like it was original.

Please remember, that this car originally belonged to John's wife and
was at their home near San Diego.  It only had 3,000 on it when I
bought it and it does apparently have a few other strange quirks.
Maybe, QAC did some magic on it as some kind of a test.....

Last night, I had a chance to look at Chris's Delorean, which is one
serial number higher than mine and his does not have this
arrangement.  Thoughts?

Scot Stern
6452

<*> Your email settings: