[DML] Re: Possibly dropped copper washer from fuel line into engine cyli

[DML] Re: Possibly dropped copper washer from fuel line into engine cylinder

Those little things have a way of getting into places you can't see.
And the best part about it is since they are copper they are not
magnetic so you can't get them by fishing around with a magnet. If you
can't see them you will never get them. It could be bad if it did fall
into the injector port. They won't vaporize. They can get stuck in a
valve and hold it open. If you do think it fell in there you can
probably get it by taking off the intake manifold. If you do remove it
chances are you will find it even if it did not fall into the injector
port. Generally when you drop and lose one you just get another or
reuse one of the old ones. When I pull intake manifolds I usually find
a treasure trove of hardware. I hate dropping and losing parts,
especially tools. Even worse is when you put the injectors back and
don't realize you dropped a washer, tighten things up and have a huge
leak on the injector. You learn to be careful because you can spend
more time looking for dropped parts and tools then actually doing the
job! Some tips are using compressed air to try to blow it out, poking
around hoping to get it to fall on the floor, mirrors, etc. The
Delorean has a lot of places parts can land and never be found again.
Get a flashlight and look over the motor again, you may get lucky.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@...> wrote:

> While taking out my injectors to send out for cleaning, I accidentally
> dropped one of the small copper washers.  I will be looking for it
> when I have some time, hoping it dropped down below somewhere in a
> harmless location.  It wasn't on the floor when I looked.  Probably a
> small chance, but what if the washer dropped into the open injector
> opening into the cylinder?  I am hoping I don't have to disassemble
> anything to look for it, and wondered if serious damage could occur if
> a washer did fall into the opening into the engine cylinder.  Since it
> is a relatively soft and small washer, I would hope it would just get
> vaporized as the cylinder fired, or could it totally mess up the
> engine.  Any advice is appeciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
> vin 10944