[DML] Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors

An ultra-sonic cleaner may be useful in cleaning the outside surfaces.
The only way to properly clean and test the injectors is with the
injector tester/cleaner. You can get an idea of what it looks like on
D03:01 J 28876. According to the Workshop Manual injectors are NOT
serviceable (D:01:16) but in my experience they can be cleaned. Spray
pattern is important but opening presure is probably just as important
and you can't check that except in the tester. You use mineral spirits
(paint thinner) because it has approximately the same viscosity as
gasoline, dissolves old fuel, and has a much lower flamability so it
is safer than gasoline. You may be able to find a local Volvo dealer
that has a tester/cleaner and you might even be able to talk the
service manager into having it done. If the injector seals (the rubber
gasket on the injectors) are hard you should replace them so you don't
have any vacuum leaks. If any of the clips that hold the injectors in
are missing or broken they should be replaced also. Get new copper
seals too. Do not overtighten the banjo (hollow) bolts. They break
easily if overtightened. As for cleaning the outside surfaces of the
injectors, you can use a scotch-brite pad, there is no need for an
ultra-sonic cleaner. You can actually test the spray pattern on-car,
just be careful, you are shooting gas and if there is an ignition
source you will have a flame-thrower in your hand!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet@...> wrote:

> I know that John H. can test and clean injectors (and I may take you up
> on it John after I check them myself), but I have an ultrasonic cleaner
> at home and wondered what should be used as a solution to clean
> injectors if I need to.  I haven't pulled them yet, but want to prepare
> in case there is debris distributing the spray pattern.  Do I use
> mineral spirits, thinner, soapy water??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
> Vin 10944