[DML] Re: Google DeLorean

I have not been so lucky to locate my DeLorean on Google Earth/Maps.
I tried looking at my place of work and at home.  Oh, well.

Found this article regarding the reason behind the color aerial maps
found on Google Earth.

Below is taken from WIRED magazine, March 2007 page 48. Title,
Search for bin Laden at Home!

    Where in the world is Osama bin Laden? Uh?try checking Google
Earth.  After Google recently updated its satellite images of parts
of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, much of the region still looked
blotchy-the kind of low resolution that persists in coverage of,
say, upstate New York.  But, several small squares (they stand out
as off-color patches from 680 miles up) suddenly became as detailed
as the images of Manhattan.  These sectors happen to be precisely
where the US government has been hunting for bin Laden and his
deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri.

    Turns out, Google gets its images from many of the same
satellite companies-DigitalGlobe, TerraMetrics, and others-that
provide reconnaissance to US intelligence agencies.  And when the
CIA requests close-ups of the area around Peshawar in Pakistan's
North-West Frontier Province, Google Earth reaps the benefits
(although usually six to 18 months later).  This is also why remote
parts of Asia went hi-res after the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 and
the Kashmir earthquake in 2005.

    Google doesn't ask why resolution improves in particular
locations.  But the CIA believes bin Laden is holed up in the Hindu
Kush mountain range-one of the most out-of-the-way places on Earth-
and you can now see every house, school, and mosque in certain
villages there.  Keep your eyes peeled for a very tall guy with a
long beard and an AK-47. ?MATTHEW COLE

Mark R. Vanyo.
Have not stopped spending money on my D (VIN 02261) since I bought
her in February, 2001.  So far up to aprox. $25,000.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)