[DML] Buying a new D

This is more for the marine and Ed (I think his name was...) who
were asking about buying Ds.  Thought I'd share my own experiences
given that I just bought my very own D (VIN 4687) just a month ago.
Through my research I gathered five main points which really helped
me in finding a good car.  I found a wonderful car whose previous
owner was amazing.  Here's the pointers:

1. Price - Yeah, you might get a great deal for under $20,000, but
in the end, anything lower than $15,000 and your most likely going
to sink alot of money into her to keep her driveable. Of course, if
your looking for a 'showroom' trophy, well than, by all means.  I
think I read somewhere the rule is that anything under 20,000,
expect to spend $5,000 more, plus costs of parts and labor.  There
are many deals out there, but VERY few that can be construed
as "good."  Remember, there has to be a REASON the seller is
selling.  Could it be because it was way too expensive even for them?

2.  Mileage. Low mileage usually is indicative of a 'showroom
trophy' or garaged car.  For some reason, many of these owners had
no idea how to properly store the car for long term, and if the gas
was left in the tank...well, your automatically going to be looking
at replacing the fuel system before too long!  If you can do your
own mechanic work, and are looking for a project car, maybe it would
work for you.  If your looking for a driver, well, go for something
that the previous owner was ALSO using it as a frequent driver.
You'll be much happier.

3.  Documentation.  Make sure the current owner has fully documented
exactly what he's had done to the car to fix it and upkeep it over
the last time.  Also try to find out what previous owners did.  If a
seller has little knowledge of it, I'd say STAY far, far away!

4.  Education.  Learn as much as you can about these cars. Get
involved with the lists here, read the manuals, talk to owners
nearby, and start your education.  This isn't a Dodge.  It's not a
Ford. And its not a Chevy.  Your now dealing with a rare 'classic'
car, and you need to have the knowledge to protect your car and give
her the best care possible.

5.  Mechanic.  Find a mechanic you trust, and one who's got some
experience with the cars.  You may not be fortunate to live near one
of the DMC service centers, so network with other Delorean owners in
your area.  You and your mechanic are going to get pretty close!

And finally, I'll pass along something I just found out.  Look at
the Master and Slave cylinders on the car.  If they're leaking
fluid, morelikely, you'll be replacing them REAL soon.  If this has
been an issue for awhile as well, check out the protective plate
down by the fuel tank.  If the brake fluids been leaking down onto
the frame, it may also have started corroding the frame. If it has,
GET the frame sanded, protected and reepoxied before too much
longer.  If the frame goes, well, thats a REAL expensive oddysey.
(Mine's going into the shop in another month to have this
preventative care done).
Have fun!  I wish you well on your goal to "Live the Dream!"
Josh Behn
Proud owner of VIN 4687
"Aisling" - (After all, an Irish car deserves an Irish name!) :)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)