[DML] Weekend repair notes

Hello all,

    This weekend was my season starting engine
cleaning.  Though the car has been out this year
already, it seems the running condition was getting
worse for some reason.

Interesting sidenote to this is that as the condition
got worse, the sound in the radio got worse as well,
along with a worse idle.

Therefore, I took this as an opportunity to connect
the O-scope up to the car.  I used the direct and
ignition power of the radio as a reference point.  And
things didnt look to good.  Because the car was
sputtering when under load (uphill) I figured maybe
the ignition is the culprit.

As it would turn out, three issues were repaired, the
car is in perfect working condition.

1) 90 degree coupler on ignition coil was melted
inside. ( broke into dust upon removal) reason was
severe oxidation on the connector (i mean severe)

2) both 2.2mf caps checked out good on the tester
however the one at the coil had a bad connection to
ground and the one at the idle switch was completely
oxidized at the terminal.

once completed, I made videos of noise testing in the
electrical system and posted them on youtube.
needless to say the signals look great, the radio has
no noise and the car runs fine!!!

As an added bonus I made a video of my dramatically
improved idle which used to seek about 300 rpm from
the norm.

pictures
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/brokeconn.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/brokeconn2.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/capreroute.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/capsolder.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/captest.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/directconn.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/motorclean.jpg
http://www.mydelorean.net/pics/motorclean2.jpg

idle movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogbrgDWjlA

Jordan Rubin
mydelorean.net

Like Myspace for your Delorean, plus HOWTOS and a parts catalogue
Wie Myspace fur dein Delorean, plus HOWTOS und Ersatzteilcatalog

http://www.mydelorean.net

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional