Re: [DML] Who has dampening door struts?

Re: [DML] Who has dampening door struts?

I think I need to provide some background here. When I bought my car
the struts were bad and the previous owner had cranked up the torsion
bars to compensate. I didn't know this until one of the struts failed
and I replaced them both - suddenly my doors flew open dangerously
fast.

I dialed the torsion bars down to "perfect". Most DeLoreans I've seen
have a slight bounce at the top of the door travel. Mine open, rise
gently, and stop exactly at the top with zero bounce.

Problem is, for door launchers, my setting was too conservative. They
usually don't work because I don't have enough torsion bar pull at the
bottom of door travel. If I unlatch my doors, I can leave them at the
bottom and they won't start rising until I give them a little push.
If I dial the bars back up one notch, I'll be more appropriately
configured. This isn't going to damage my bars; I'd venture a guess
they're currently below factory spec, anyway, and I know they're set
lower than many other cars I've seen. I figure I can dial them back to
where I should have put them in the first place, or buy door poppers
to push the doors out which is a non-trivial install.

-Ryan

On 4/14/07, ComposerZelgadis@xxxxxxx <ComposerZelgadis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Technically speaking, you should never have to make an adjustment on the
>  torsion bar, provided the previous owner didn't make any - if it's set at factory
>  default, leave it there.  If you're having trouble with your doors not opening
>  fully, just get some new struts.  Stabilus is good from the OEM standpoint,
>  like if you're going for Concours.  I went with DMCH's struts a couple years
>  ago, and the doors open just fine without slamming to the roof - but I don't
>  have any door poppers.
>
>  A lot of it also depends on weather - if you live in a very hot locale (South
>  Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc) the gas in the struts will expand, and thus,
>  have more spring to them, especially when new.  If you live someplace cold, like
>  way up North, then the gas in the struts contract, and don't have as much
>  push.  But please, leave your torsion bar alone.  I've heard too many horror
>  stories of these breaking from seemingly minor adjustments.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)