[DML] Re: D Brakes

Byron were the rubber Brake lines replaced when the Brake system was
done? If you want you can call me or email me & we can set up a day
to look it over to check the problem, I work with Houston, John &
Dave & will gladly check this out to try to resolve it so you & your
car are safe.
Lawrence
313-506-3786

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron@...>
wrote:

> Thanks for the couple replies I have recieved. All very interesting
> as it does open up some other areas to look. I will have to give
> Dave a call and run down the list of questions.
> In a pnic stop the car will stop. There is no pulling in either
> direction when you apply the barkes. I get a lot of brake pad
> clatter when driving on bumpy pavement even with Rob Grady's spring
> and cotter assembly. I never recall this especially when weI had a
> gravel driveway growing up with the car. Always smooth and quiet,
> soemtimes alittle brake squeal. The problem in a panic stop is that
> that the second longer it takes me to get to the brake actually
> doing anything may be the second I need to prevent an accident.
This
> is my main concern of course.
> BC
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Believe it or not there are several things that can cause a low
> > pedal. Most common is air in the system (an ineffective bench
> bleed
> > of a new master cylinder is not too uncommon). Next is a faulty
> > master cylinder - and it goes on to more granular issues from
> there.
> > You shouldn't need any "pedal adjustment".
> >
> > Since there is no "pumping up" to get pedal, this would imply
> there
> > is no air in the system - except possibly at the master cylinder.
> > Also, I don't know how the brake system was bleed but, if a pedal
> > bleed was performed the pedal bottomed-out the master cylinder by
> > allowing the pedal to go all the way to the floor. The sealing
> inside
> > can get messed up when this is done - older MCs are always
suspect
> > for this - new MCs can get messed up too. I avoid pedal bleeds on
> all
> > my cars for this reason. If the MC is eliminated as a cause then
> > would suspect a faulty caliper or bad brake lines? How does the
> car
> > feel in a panic stop?
> >
> > Harold McElraft - 3354
> >

> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I had a full restoration of my DeLorean at Dave Bauerle's
garage
> in
> > > 2004. My DeLorean has been in my family since new. There is no
> one
> > > that knows this car better then myself. I cared for this (my
> dad's
> > > car) since I was 12 Years of age. I also just sold a DeLorean
> that
> > > came in 3rd PLace at the DCS Millenium Concourse this past
year.
> My
> > > concern & Looming irritating deal is with my brakes. I remember
> > > nice firm feeling when applying the brakes. Just like a
> cadillac's
> > > power assist brakes. Nice smooth transition, just when you
> depress
> > > the pedal it should go right into mode soft to firm. I told
Dave
> > > that the brakes did not feel right to me after I drove away.
> Dave
> > > purchase remanufactured complete brake system from Specialty
> Auto.
> > > My understanding was that my original brakes were to be
> completely
> > > overhauled and re-installed. Hind site may have forced the
issue
> of
> > > either overhauling the existing or going with houston's set:
But
> > > before anyone gets bashed, there may be a simple solution.
Pedal
> > > adjustment? Here is the deal. The brakes consistantly depress
> about
> > > 4" inches before action takes place. My 3rd place concourse car
> was
> > > about 1/2", just the way I remembered it. Nice and firm. I have
> no
> > > ackward pumping of the brake and variable pedal height that
> would
> > > suggest the master cylinder. Having thought about the Master
> > > Cylinder as suspect, I went ahead and bought a new master
> cylinder
> > > from Houston. Nothing changed. Vaccum was tested. perfect.
Lines
> > > were bled 3 times. The owner at Munk's Motors (Porsche VW BMW)
> > > agrees that my brakes are not adiquate compred to the other
> > > DeLorean's he's had the privelage to work on and drive. He does
> not
> > > know what is going on either. No leaks.
> > > John Hervey & Dave Bauerle spoke about the issue with no
resolve
> > for
> > > me. Yet another year goes by. I want the brakes to work right,
> > > spent the money, have no problem to spend more when someone can
> > tell
> > > me what is needed. So for me the brake sytsem is suspect.
> > >
> > > Any one that can solve this problem for me is my friend for
> life.
> > > Unfortunately Dave's shop is a 3 hour drive, so warranty issues
> are
> > > not an easy task. Dave did a remarkable job on my car. To date
> it
> > > drives and sound like new other than the brakes. However Dave
is
> > > only as good as the parts he recieves. I also had a faulty
> battery
> > > light caused by a connection form the alternator purchased at
> > > Specialty. When I conduct business, a vendor and manufacturer
> > > (myself) get together with the customer to solve problems. I
> would
> > > like to see this happen so I can feel as thou all that could be
> > done
> > > was done.
> > > Byron

<*> Your email settings: