[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association Event ? Las Vegas May 2007 ? Post

[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association Event ? Las Vegas May 2007 ? Postp

As a business major, I've been taking a bunch of economics classes.
The DOA event fell apart because we failed to achieve "economies of
scale" and draw enough attendees to cover the fixed and variable
costs. If you need at least 50 to 100 attendees to make an event
work, you have to set the price point low enough for 100 people to
choose to attend. Otherwise, there will be no show, and all the time
spent planning, sending out fancy invitations will be for naught.

This doesn't mean that DOA can't host a "classy" event, but it means
they need to push through an event that at least tries to save money.
They could have offered a cheap package and an expensive package,
with optional accommodations at another hotel. But Red Rock is off
the strip, so that makes the show a monopolistic "all-or-nothing-offer."

The weekend the DOA chose was a "high demand" weekend for Vegas.
There are slow periods when conventions are not in town where hotels
are $40-$80 a night, even at fancy places on the strip. I go to Vegas
twice a year, and I save so much money planning trips at off-peak times.

I see a lot of flaming going on. It's almost a class war between the
wealthy DeLorean Snobs and the "Cheap owners with cars in disrepair."
I am so ashamed to see our community divided on class lines. Are we
forgetting what it means to "live the dream?" Should "living the
dream" be accessible to anyone or simply a select few?

If you read DeLorean's books, you know he was not an elitist. He was
a humanitarian, an ambitious, courageous, and principled man whose
frustration with elitism caused him to leave GM.

DeLoreans are not Bentleys. Ads for Bentleys do not belong in
DeLorean World. If you want to be a snob, go get a Jaguar or a
Bentley and move to Pebble Beach.

There is no room in the DeLorean community I know for such
prostitutes. I firmly believe JZD is spinning in his grave to see
elitism dividing his community.

I truly hope our community can bridge this wound between rich and
poor. This means DOA is going to have to learn some economic lessons
the hard way.

-Ryan Brandys

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional