[DML] Future Las Vegas Car Show (was: Re: DeLorean Owners Association Ev

[DML] Future Las Vegas Car Show (was: Re: DeLorean Owners Association Event...)

Quick Seqway:  Mad Respect for John Hervey! The man is absolutely
right on all accounts. Especially about that oil filter. I too was
someone who was on that bandwagon of using Purflux. And now, it seems
that we can't get them anymore. Most of all, John seems to have the
most options for both replacement, and performance upgrades to
install. I still haven't seen anyone else offer cross-drilled rotors,
among othewr things.

And just as an FYI, people who have money, and keep their money aren't
always moguls, or high-level executives. Matter of fact, most of the
time, they are the cheapest S.O.B.s you will ever run across! Any of
us who have worked Retail, or ESPECIALLY Hospitality industries can
provide a slew of almost never-ending examples. So don't think that
because someone doesn't pay the price for something it means that
they're poor or low class. It probably just means that they're not
willing to pay. Most likely it has nothing at all to do with being
absent of means.

According to what I've been told, quite a few DOA members in the past
have complained about the Vegas venue, because of their fuel pickup
hoses collapsing, and causing their fuel pumps to whine loudly,
whereas they didn't down in SoCal. And there would most likely have
been alot of that if people had to drive from one remote corner of the
valley, over to the other for any events. Especially if any Strip
events were to be chosen. Mainly of course I wanted to point that out
because a buzzing fuel pump is a sign that the pickup hose needs
replacement. Matter of fact, I believe it was posted that DMCH
reccomends replacement of that hose every 3-4 years to avoid such an
issue durring hot temperatures. So who is it that's driving around
with poorly maintained cars again? (Cheap shot? No. My statement was
there to prove a point. Not to shock and insult)

Now, onto a Las Vegas show.

1. What Strip locations offer enough space to display cars? Try the
Sahara, and Riviera for starters. Any of you who have been to SEMA
have seen their HUGE parking lots and storage areas behind their
resorts, that face Paradise Rd. I know that you've seen these, because
it's one of the places that so many vendors who show up store their
transport vehicles! And the Sahara's rates are pretty damn reasonable
@ $100 a night that I found online, just via Orbitz. As a bonus,
Sahara also has a huge NASCAR/Motorsports theme inside too.

2. Red Rock is not the ideal resort location. If we host events across
the Valley, it's always way the hell out and away from everything.
Yes, traffic on the Strip sucks. That's why you go where all the Taxis
and Service vehicles go: Industrial/Dean Martin Rd. And Paradise Rd.
But hey, that's only if we remain on-Strip. Off-Strip there are still
plenty of places that are Centrally-located in the valley, yet offer
nice amenities, balanced with reasonable prices. No, I've not fully
checked into it, but even Green Valey Ranch would be a better choice
than Red Rock for location and amenities.

One of the biggest concerns for Red Rock is the fact that it's up the
hill, and while you're not going to be gridlocked as bad as you would
be down on the strip, you will fight lots of commuters on Friday to
get up there. Both on surface streets, as well as the Beltway.

As for events, there are LOTS of things to do in Vegas. Wine tasting
in Pahrump is an option, yes. But it's over the hill, and 55 miles
away. That's going to be an all day event, with not all that much to
really see along the way. Yeah, there's Red Rock Canyon, but the real
picturesque views that you'd want to see are on the Scenic Loop, which
you wouldn't be driving through, and would only get a short glimpse of
as you drive down the road, since most of it's hidden from view. Once
you did get to Pahrump, there ain't much to see. And I don't know how
many people really would be interested in a Brothel Museum. For a good
driving tour, Lake Mead/Valley of Fire are all far superior venues,
with gas stations along the way.

There's drag racing if anyone wants to head up to the LVMS to put
their cars to the test. Hey, we can even tour Shelby Motors, and watch
them build cars and tour their museum, since it's right next door if
that interests anyone as an alternative or addition. And guess what,
it's free too!

Now yes, everyone will want to tour the Las Vegas Strip. Trust me,
it's fun to get DeLoreans together, and run a roadblock down the
street, and catch everyone's attention. Yeah, traffic gets pretty
heavy, but it's not entirely un-doable. What we can also do is hold an
outdoor car show up on Fremont Street too. The Pantera club does it,
so I don't see why we couldn't either.
http://www.panteraclub.com/Fremont_Street_2003/Fremont2.htm

Now I could go on and on about how Vegas is a great venue with the
right people running it. Especially those of us who are more familiar
with the city as a whole, and not just with hotel amenities. We'll
know where to take everyone, so that everybody has fun.

Now I will admit that I have never organized anything this big. But I
know that there is allot of interest in a "West Coast" DCS. Especially
amongst owners in Arizona, Nevada, and California. And I believe that
in Las Vegas, we could pull LOTS of people in from not only the
Pacific Coast states, but the Rocky Mountain states of Utah, Colorado,
Idaho, and others. I'll gladly throw my hat into the ring, and lend a
hand however I can to help bring something like this about.

I know that there are folks behind the scenes that have been talking
about this already. I say nows the time to start organizing it. It may
not be as big as the past DCS events, but I know that we can make good
on hosting an event that everyone would love to attend. Because it
would be the kind of event that *WE* would attend! Let's get it started.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional