Re: [DML] Purflux Vs. Bosch and so forth and so on.

Re: [DML] Purflux Vs. Bosch and so forth and so on.

Wow this discussion really is amazing

Renault and Volvo here in the UK originally supplied Purflux. I don't
know about Pug. The Ren ones come with the Purflux logo still on them as
well as a Renault logo. BUT the Renault computer now lists a single part
number across the board for all the PRVs and it is WRONG for the
DeLorean (and FWIW costs around $15). There are two different threads on
the tubular insert that is the bit you screw the filter on to. There are
about three different versions of this tube as well as some engines that
used a large banjo-bolt - most PRVs do not have the filter screw
directly on the block. Either for the provision of an oil cooler, or
remote locating the filter due to access issues.

It's a pretty low spec engine, all things considered. You really
shouldn't lose sleep over the "best" oil filters. For the performancec
delivered by a DeLorean engine, you'd be hard pushed to cause any damage
by using ANY oil filter that fits, as long as you change the oil and
filter regularly. I've seen some pretty abused engines with oil that
came out like tar, and one filter that needed a 3' breaker bar to get it
off it'd been on so long. New oil and filter and in less than ten
seconds, the engine was as sweet as a nut.

I've been using the Crossland 659 filter because it's a modern compact
filter, made in the same factory as Purflux (apparently) and, well,
certainly looks the same!

There'a a photo of my engine in the DMCnews tech section in the manifold
gasket replacement article. Wow, it shows my old Ducellier alternator
too....

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/images/exhaust/4rightsidedone.jpg

That engine is now much cleaner and running beautifully another 15,000
or so miles on. A mechanic friend of mine recently commented on how
clean my oil looked when I dropped it a month or two ago after a year's
driving (about 4000 miles this year)

Martin
ex #4426

legutki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmcnews%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Eric Pool" <epool2005@...> wrote:
> >Well I hit the wrong key. Fingers don't work as well as I'd like. If
> the PRV was standard in
> a Volvo and Peugeot and Renault, what kind of filter were new cars
> supplied with then, in
> the old days?? Wouldn't they all be the same?? And I must not have
> found the answer in
> posts, but if it's the same V-6, why do we need more oil? Wow, dumb
> question followed
> by more dumb questions!! Thanks a bunch.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)