[DML] Re: Wiper motor replacement AAAAGGGHH

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Lucas <lucas@...> wrote:

> I wonder if maybe some kind of in-line pump installed
> upstream (like under the dash) might be an alternative.

I don't think under the dash would work, as most pumps "suck" at
sucking and do a much better job at pushing/blowing.

By having the pump in the bucket it gets a gravity feed and only has
to PUSH the fluid up to the wiper arm. If the pump were at the bottom
of the arm even it would first have to suck fluid up there by removing
the air in the line. A pump designed for fluid works even worse in a gas...

When my WW-pump died I had a hard time finding a proper one FAST
(needed it THAT day as I had an MOT next day), so I decided to improvise.
I got a generic WW-pump andfitted it in the bucket next to the bottle,
about 2" above the bottom of the bucket with the motor sticking upright,
so the pump would get feed as long as there was more than 2" of fluid in the
bottle, but the motor couldn't get submerged in the bucket as easy as original.

To connect the pump to the bottle I disected the original pump. The screwy
bit was removed and I glued it into a cap I got from the plumbing department
at a hardware store. In the end of the cap I tapped a hole with a nozzle and
on that nozzle I put a bit of hose going to the intake of my new pump.

The pump annd plumbing parst cost me less than $10 and it took me about
30 minutes to fabricate the whole thing. I passed my MOT without any problems
AND as an added bonus; the new pump worked so much better that I could
ditch my iedeas for fitting another prayer alltogether!

I had it on the car for 4 years and it still was
fully functional when I sold it last year...

Hope this helps,

JAN van de Wouw
former owner of #05141
now driving an '06 Toyota Aygo