Re: [DML] Rear Calipers on Ebay

Can you clarify this please, Steve? The m/cs are identical apart from
the springs internally. The way they work is very clever and very
simple, but the maths is a bit brain-bending. (NB this is how I was told
they work and it makes sense, but a disclaimer applies!)

There are two plungers in a tube. Your foot pushes the first plunger
directly. The fluid on the other side has an "exit" which is connected
to the rear circuit. Inside this fluid is a spring #1 which pushes
against a second sealed plunger, behind which is an exit for the front
circuit and then spring #2 which rests against the end of the cylinder.
The proportioning is set purely by the difference in spring rates
between the two springs.

You can convert a 50/50 cylinder to a 68/32 by swapping out the springs
from your old unit. Well, in theory anyway, in practice you need to rig
up compressed air to force the lower plunger out.

I'm running a 50/50 and jag calipers on my own car.

Martin

Steve Stankiewicz wrote:

> The original Delorean MC is a "68/32" and the Saab unit is a "50/50".
> On the surface it would seam like the difference in the rear is only
> the difference bewteen 50 and 32 or the Saab unit is 18% more pressure
> in the rear. This is NOT correct. Automotive braking systems give full
> pressure to the front wheels, then use an internal or external
> proportioning valve to reduce pressure to the rear wheels. If the
> proportioning is done internal to the mastercylinder, you see a value
> like the Delorean and "68/32". If the proportioning valve is separate
> from the matercylinder, then no proportioning is done inside the
> master cylinder and it puts out equal pressure to the front and rear,
> "50/50" like the Saab unit.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: