RE: [DML] Rear Calipers on Ebay

(note - I'm not an automotive engineer, but this is pretty basic physics
and common sense)

If one uses the same brake pads, then the stopping power will be a
factor of how hard those pads are pressed onto the rotor.

You could compensate for a smaller piston by pressing harder (5% I'm
guessing without doing the math) and get similar braking results with
the following caveats:

If you can't push hard enough to nearly lock up your brakes, then you
are not reaching your full braking power - its' unlikely that 5% would
make a difference for most drivers, but it could.  Once you push hard
enough to lock up the brakes, its all equal anyway.

The smaller rear calipers will shift more of your braking power to the
front of the car, but not as much as the saab master would shift it.

A smaller caliper pushing into the back of the pad may distribute the
force onto that pad differently than the larger one would, causing
slightly decreased performance or pad life, particularly as the pad
wears thin.

How you feel about this stuff depends on how you drive your car, and
what you expect from your brakes that one time every 5 years that this
might make a big difference.

My understanding is that the castings are nearly identical, and coming
from the same factory.  Based on the production dates it seems that the
Jag brakes pre-date the Delorean brakes.  What is it about that 5mm
difference that made the original engineer at Delorean, who had to make
the call, decide to go with a new casting and part, rather than an
existing one?  Maybe it was so the parts department at the Delorean
Dealers could charge more for their part, or maybe it really makes a
difference.

They are your brakes, it's your wallet and your butt in the seat.  I'm
not sure myself if the difference is really that important to the casual
driver,  but I think John is doing service to more than his own business
by pointing out that there are differences and letting us all decide if
or how they affect us/

Like most things here - you have to make that final determination
yourself.