Re: [DML] Be careful BEFORE YOU BUY A Delorean

On 2/21/07, bttfcalifornia <bttfcalifornia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  left to sit unused in a garage for ages. Every part of the car is
>  breaking (engine, lights, switches). You name it, it's broken. We've
>  been quoted with almost $20k in repairs just to get it road worthly.
>  The private seller basically lied to our faces about the condition.

One more follow up on this... You said "everything is breaking."
That's a key word, there: Not "broken", but "breaking." That tells me
the seller didn't lie to you, but rather that you tried to put a
"garage queen" into regular service without doing the appropriate
major systems overhauls beforehand.

I'm assuming from the way you wrote this when you picked the car up,
it was working fine but immediately started falling apart when you
began to use it. If that's the case, what you've got is a normal case
of neglected, 26 year old parts failing. When you take a care and you
throw it in a garage and you don't use it, it will appear to stay
"perfect." Yet, over time, everything is rotting. Plastic gets
brittle; lubricants break down; rubber seals and hoses dry up, crack
and generally just rot away.

So you wind up with a "perfect" car that has never really been used.
It will continue to stay "perfect" so long as you don't use it. Once
you put it into regular use, it may be fine for a short while but will
rapidly decay as you finish off the rotted, ailing parts. They will,
simply, break and fall apart in rapid succession.

This is very normal with any old, classic car. If you want a DeLorean
you can really use and drive regularly, I'd suggest you buy one with
more miles on it. If someone else has been using it, they've been
exercising the parts and replacing them as they fail.

-Ryan

Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; communities. Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)