Re: [DML] Starting problem?

Very easy to test the starter solenoid. If it IS shot then the "best"
thing is to just get the whole thing rebuilt or exchanged. BTW they
don't wear out often so before you condemn it make sure it is nothing
else. I can't examine your car from here but on many cars a bad
starter *could* be an indication of a flood car. Since the starter is
low and it can hold water inside if the car was flooded it would
certainly mess up the starter and a lot of other things too! If you
know the history of the car and can rule out flood damage all the
better. Changing the starter is not a very difficult job but you will
need to lift the car either by jackstands or a lift. Disconnect the
battery before starting removal and make sure you replace the wires
EXACTLY as you remove them. You will need some metric wrenches. If the
headers prevent removal then you are right, it becomes a bigger job,
beyond the skills of a novice. If you call DMCH they can tell you if
the starter can be removed without removing the headers.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo@...> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, everyone.
>
> OK, from what I gather from various responses, the started soleniod
> is bad because when I turn the key, I hear a click coming from the
> relay behind the passenger seat, and I hear a click coming from back
> by the engine.  Dave Swingle told me that if the solenoid clicks but
> the car does not turn over, the solenoid is bad.
>
> This raises a couple questions.
>
> A.) Can I get the solenoid without buying a whole new starter?  But
> on the same token, is it worth just replacing the whole starter?  It
> is the original.
>
> B.) Is this something I can do myself?  I'm not too savvy when it
> comes to electronics.
>
> C.)  I have DMCH's performance exhaust.  The headers seem to travel
> right over the starter.  Can I still get it out without taking off
> my exhaust and making this a huge project?
>
> Corey
> 2423

Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; communities. Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)