[DML] Re: Starting problem?

I'm pretty sure the starter is my own problem; my D has been sitting
for about a month, but amazingly the lights still work. I went out and
purchased a decent auto-float/deep charger from Sears to keep my
battery healthy (which I should get out there and hook up after work
later.) My battery is only about a year and a half old as well, and is
one of those nice heavy-duty, Auto Zone batteries. Amazingly enough,
the lights still come on when I open the door. Back in late Dec./early
Jan. my starter sounded like something was spinning and rattling
inside. I'd love to see what the inside of *my* solenoid looks like
after 20-some years! Probably like the pics John Hervey has of old,
burnt ones posted on his site. Anyways, I was able to pick up a
rebuilt starter from Lawrence Lormand up in Dearborn. -thank you
again, Lawrence! So I'm just waiting for all the crappy snow to melt
in my driveway. -I don't relish the idea of changing the starter with
wet snow under my back. :) The nice thing is, the weather is warming
up for a change in Kansas City. One ironic yet funny thought, my
charger cost around $88 dollars. But there's my two cents for today.

-John
#10715

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@...> wrote:

> I have read the other responses and the only thing I could add - is -
> consider that your "new" battery may not be as new as you think. BTW
> most fully drained (if it didn't freeze) one year old battery should
> come back to life with a few days of medium charging.
>
> I would have the new battery checked completely and be sure you have
> the cables connected firmly.
>
> If there is still no turn you will have to start by checking the
> power to the starter, the grounds, the start relay, solenoid, etc.,
> etc., even the ignition switch until you find the weak or broken
> component.
>
> Harold McElraft - 3354
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all...
> >
> > OK, here's the situation.  I put the D in the garage for "winter
> > hibernation" sometime in December when the first snow started
> > falling here in Chicago.
>

>   I turn the key and
> > absolutely nothing happenes.
> >
> > Could it be the starter?  What do you guys think?
> >
> > Corey
> > 2423

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional