This e-mail is the sole, confidential property of Financial Liberty Mortgage Corporation.

From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DML - the DeLorean Mailing List
Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)
1a. Re: antifreeze in my oil From: Harold McElraft
1b. Re: antifreeze in my oil From: David Teitelbaum
1c. Re: antifreeze in my oil From: DarkStar
1d. Re: antifreeze in my oil From: deloreanernst@xxxxxxx
2a. Re: Announcing DeLorean Motor Company (Northwest) From: Toby Peterson
2b. Re: Announcing DeLorean Motor Company (Northwest) From: therealdmcvegas
3. Best LEDs for side markers? From: delorean_3
4. February 17th ? Chattanooga, TN ? DeLorean Gathering From: freakybeetle
5. Website of VIN plate photos From: Shannon
View All Topics | Create New Topic Messages
1a. Re: antifreeze in my oil
Posted by: "Harold McElraft" hmcelraft@xxxxxxx   hmcelraft
Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:34 am (PST)
Antifreeze can get into the DeLorean engine oil from a couple of
places, all internal, and it is usually not a good sign. Now that
antifreeze has been into the oil you may already have some serious
damage. Unfortunately, an internal leak implies some sort of engine
damage or gasket failure has occurred. Failures rarely lend
themselves to "stop-leak" types of repair.

Since the engine apparently does not miss, the leak is not in the
combustion chamber (it would miss, especially at start up, if this
were the case). It could be a cracked head which could be checked by
removing the valve adjustment covers or it could be a leak at the
piston sleeve or liner mount at the engine block inside the engine.
There are, of course, other possibilities - these are some common
ones.

If the leak is because of a piston sleeve gasket failure some stop-
leak may work. I would recommend Aluma Seal - I get it at NAPA - or
any good name brand sealer that works in aluminum engines. I would
probably do that in any event to see if the leak can be stopped.

I would also drain a bit of oil out periodically to see how much
antifreeze is still getting into the oil. If you can't stop it you
are destined, more likely than not, for some major engine repair.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, deloreanernst@... wrote:

> Had my oil changed today, and the mechanic tells me a quart of
bright green
> antifreeze poured out before the oil. Yikes! My oil pressure is
now back to
> normal, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and
what you
> had to do to cure it. Had relatively minor but expensive damage
just before the
> problem surfaced. A truck backed into my parked D. Any likelihood
that it
> jarred something loose?
> BTW, I have not yet looked into the "valley of death" on top of the
engine,
> under the air cleaner et al to see if it's leaking there.
>
> Wayne A. Ernst
> vin 11174
> Bridgeton, NJ

Messages in this topic (5)
1b. Re: antifreeze in my oil
Posted by: "David Teitelbaum" jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   jtrealtywebspannet
Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:36 am (PST)
Certainly not a good thing to find anti-freeze in the oil. Some
possible sources include:
Leaking liner seals
Head gasket
Corroded block in the top and leaking seals and hoses allowing the
coolant to get into the crankcase.

You definately need to find the source of the leak. Anti-freeze is not
a good lubricant and will ruin your bearings, cam, cylinder walls, and
pistons. A presssure test on the coolant system should help you find
the leak. You may need to remove the intake manifold to examine all
possible sources. Has your engine ever been overheated?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, deloreanernst@... wrote:

> Had my oil changed today, and the mechanic tells me a quart of
bright green
> antifreeze poured out before the oil. Yikes! My oil pressure is now
back to
> normal, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and
what you
> had to do to cure it. Had relatively minor but expensive damage just
before the
> problem surfaced. A truck backed into my parked D. Any likelihood
that it
> jarred something loose?
> BTW, I have not yet looked into the "valley of death" on top of the
engine,
> under the air cleaner et al to see if it's leaking there.
>
> Wayne A. Ernst
> vin 11174
> Bridgeton, NJ

Messages in this topic (5)
1c. Re: antifreeze in my oil
Posted by: "DarkStar" darkstarmedia@xxxxxxxxxxx   darkstarmedia
Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:38 am (PST)
hopefully just a blown head gasket, there are worse things... don't drive it
until you find out exactly what happened. There are more knowledgeable
people than me on this list but I have worked with cars a long time.

Darkstar
Had my oil changed today, and the mechanic tells me a quart of bright
green
antifreeze poured out before the oil. Yikes!
[moiderator snip]

Messages in this topic (5)
1d. Re: antifreeze in my oil
Posted by: "deloreanernst@xxxxxxx" deloreanernst@xxxxxxx   waernstnj
Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:32 pm (PST)
In a message dated 1/27/2007 2:37:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,