Re: [DML] Re: antifreeze in my oil

While dropping the pan may have some benefits, I would not suggest anyone  do
this unless they seriously have to.  While I had my engine out and on a
stand, I decided I would take my non-leaking oil pan off, just to 'see' what it
is like inside.  Big mistake.  It was clean as a whistle and took me  days to
get the old gasket off, polish the flanges, re-tap the bolt threads for  even
torque, and caused me a lot of stress hoping that I got the pan sealed up
properly once the engine was back in the car.  I used putty knives, razor  blades,
screwdrivers, sandpaper, even a dremel to get the old gasket off.

In my opinion, the oil pan should never be removed unless it is 100%
necessary.  That old gasket is unbelievably good!  There is no way in  heck I would
try to take the pan off unless I had the engine on a stand  anyway.

Just my 2 cents
Andy

In a message dated 1/28/2007 5:58:09 P.M. Central Standard Time,