[DML] Re: antifreeze in my oil

Antifreeze can get into the DeLorean engine oil from a couple of
places, all internal, and it is usually not a good sign. Now that
antifreeze has been into the oil you may already have some serious
damage. Unfortunately, an internal leak implies some sort of engine
damage or gasket failure has occurred. Failures rarely lend
themselves to "stop-leak" types of repair.

Since the engine apparently does not miss, the leak is not in the
combustion chamber (it would miss, especially at start up, if this
were the case). It could be a cracked head which could be checked by
removing the valve adjustment covers or it could be a leak at the
piston sleeve or liner mount at the engine block inside the engine.
There are, of course, other possibilities - these are some common
ones.

If the leak is because of a piston sleeve gasket failure some stop-
leak may work. I would recommend Aluma Seal - I get it at NAPA - or
any good name brand sealer that works in aluminum engines. I would
probably do that in any event to see if the leak can be stopped.

I would also drain a bit of oil out periodically to see how much
antifreeze is still getting into the oil. If you can't stop it you
are destined, more likely than not, for some major engine repair.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, deloreanernst@... wrote:

> Had my oil changed today, and the mechanic tells me a quart of
bright green
> antifreeze poured out before the oil. Yikes!  My oil pressure is
now back  to
> normal, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and
what you
> had to do to cure it. Had relatively minor but expensive damage
just before the
> problem surfaced. A truck backed into my parked D. Any likelihood
that it
> jarred  something loose?
> BTW, I have not yet looked into the "valley of death" on top of the
engine,
> under the air cleaner et al to see if it's leaking there.
>
> Wayne A.  Ernst
> vin 11174
> Bridgeton,  NJ

<*> Your email settings: