Re: [DML] Battery Chargers

Novice question! I've never owned or operated a battery charger
before. Does it just hook onto the battery, or can it be hooked up to
the terminals in the engine compartment too? I think my D has a draw
where the battery dies if the car isn't started and run every 4 days
or so, and until I get the chance to have it looked at, I'm thinking
of buying a charger just incase.

   Thanks!

       Tony, vin 2586

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@...> wrote:

> Aaron, Batteries like a long slow charge to get maximum results. If
I have
> time I use a small 6 to 10 amp charger that drops down to float in about
> less than 8 hours or less. I have at $39.95. If in the shop we need
to start
> a car quickly or we only have 2 to 3 hours to top off the battery
then we
> roll out the faster charger like you mention below. I don't sell
these. And
> if we just want to keep it active while in storage I use a float charge
> which I sell at $9.95. No matter which way you go, batteries like
best the
> slower charge.
> As far as your hot start problem, That could be the accumulator or a
loss of
> fuel pressure thru the fuel pump check valve or other fuel related
items. Be
> careful of buying accumulators that are NOS. They won't last due to the
> rubber diaphragm. There a pain to change only to have to do it every
2 to 3
> years with the cheap NOS ones.
> Call if I can help.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

Behalf Of
> Aaron Crocco
> Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 3:58 PM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DML] Battery Chargers
>
> Hey all,
>
> Even though the winter here in NY has been extremely mild, I have
> 'winterized' my delorean.  While only owning my car for a couple of
> years, I am now very exposed to the pitfalls of the battery not being
> used frequently.  I'd say this was the year of the jump start for
> me.  Well I think one season is enough and I've decided to find a
> suitable car charger that I can use when the spring comes around.
>
> I have an Exide battery from PJ Grady's.  I don't know anything about
> batteries except that.  I was checking out Amazon and saw one that is
> a good seller and got good reviews.  It is the Schumacher SSC-1000A
> charger.  It looks good and isn't expensive at $49.99.  I'd like to
> know what you guys think and if this isn't good, please post an
> alternative.
>
> Any help you guys can give, would be much appreciated.  Once I have
> this down, I can focus on the potential hot start problem I
> encountered late this year.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Aaron Crocco
> Vin 5591