[DML] Re: Battery Chargers

Hey Aaron,

That charger looks fine and similar to the one I use. I had a related
problem from not starting the car often and when I re-juiced the
battery everything was in line. You can also use a trickle charger if
you know the car will be sitting for some time. My carcoon has one
that I also had success with. But, like I said the fore mentioned
charger on amazon.com should do the trick. Remove the battery and hook
it up to a maintenance cycle or something similar over the winter.

As for the hot start problem, it is in all probability the
accumulator. Next time it won't start hot(warm), take the electrical
connection from the control pressure regulator and swap it with the
connection on the Blue cold start valve. Leave the electrical
connector from the cold start unplugged. If it is the accumulator it
should start right up... Rev the engine a little and then turn off.
Reattach everything back to its original position and start it again..
If it starts then is a good bet it's the accumulator.

If this doesn't help, check the primary pressure regulator seals. If
the seals are slightly flattened in will be injurious to the fuel
system and prevent it from maintaining pressure.  Just loosen the 16mm
nut on the fuel distributor and check the seals. I replaced mine just
for piece of mind when I was in there as it's a cheap fix and takes
10min of your time.

Lastly if THIS doesn't help then it could be the check valve in your
fuel pump. I'm not sure up to what VIN# had internal valves had, but
if they go bad you have to replace the entire pump. A faulty fuel pump
check valve will allow the fuel to flow back into the gas tank leaving
the air in the fuel lines. The odds are on your side it is the
accumulator. If you need help replacing the accumulator drop me a line
as I think we are in close proximity. I did mine last summer and
although it's not difficult it is just a little tedious to get in
there. Anyways hope this helps.

-Dan
4160

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Aaron Crocco <acrocco@...> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Even though the winter here in NY has been extremely mild, I have
> 'winterized' my delorean.  While only owning my car for a couple of
> years, I am now very exposed to the pitfalls of the battery not being
> used frequently.  I'd say this was the year of the jump start for
> me.  Well I think one season is enough and I've decided to find a
> suitable car charger that I can use when the spring comes around.
>
> I have an Exide battery from PJ Grady's.  I don't know anything about
> batteries except that.  I was checking out Amazon and saw one that is
> a good seller and got good reviews.  It is the Schumacher SSC-1000A
> charger.  It looks good and isn't expensive at $49.99.  I'd like to
> know what you guys think and if this isn't good, please post an
> alternative.
>
> Any help you guys can give, would be much appreciated.  Once I have
> this down, I can focus on the potential hot start problem I
> encountered late this year.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Aaron Crocco
> Vin 5591