[DML] Re: Maintenance interval

You can no longer go by the service intervals that were recomended for
a car that was to have been used for approx 10,000 miles a year. You
now have to use time instead. Since most Deloreans now are used less
than 2,000 mile a year I would suggest that you do a yearly service.
It should consist of an oil and filter change, coolant test,
under-chassis inspection, front end grease job, chassis lubrication,
and full detailing inside and out. Every other year replace the
coolant, brake, and clutch fluid. Every 5 years replace the wiper
blades and the battery. Pressure test the cooling system. Every 20,000
miles (10 years) a full tune-up and replace the tires. To some this
might seem like overkill but if you want the car to be reliable and
safe and last a long time this is not so bad. The brakes do not become
spongy from moisture. The water is a non-compressable liquid but it
eats up the iron parts inside the system. Because the brakes are not
used regularly and the brake fluid heated up to drive off accumulated
moisture it is even more important to change the brake fluid often. If
you pedal is spongy you have air in the system and it must be bled. If
it keeps happening you will have to rebuild or replace the clutch
master and slave cylinders.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757
.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1@...>
wrote:

> I'm having a brain cramp and I don't have my shop manual with me and
> it's not in my owner's manual.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: