[DML] Tilt -Telescopic Steering Wheel

I just had to replace the steering bushing in my Delorean. Never mind
the instructions from DMCH are useless and the procedure in the
Workshop Manual is wrong. It is a pretty simple thing to do especially
with the puller DMCH suggests. I took the oppertunity to remove the
steering column because I was never able to adjust it easily in and
out. After disassembling the adjustable collar and mount I figured out
the problem. There is a hat-shaped rib spot-welded on the top of the
outer column that the collar slides on so the outer column stays
straight. When it was spot-welded on the spot welds deformed it so the
collar couldn't slide easily. A few minutes with a file and now it is
nice. I am figuring this has to be a common problem with a lot of the
cars that don't adjust easily. That and the 25 year old grease (glue).
Could also be the reason many owners don't even know that the column
adjusts because it is hard to move especailly if it hasdn't been moved
in many years. Now that I filed the part and regreased the column
(outer collar and inner shaft) it moves very easily. This is a nice
winter job because it requires no parts (unless your steering bushing
is bad) doesn't require any special tools (unless you HAVE to pull the
steering wheel) and doesn't require a high level of skill.
David Teitelbaum

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: