Re: [DML] Did my engine blow up? Fire/smoke?!

Re: [DML] Did my engine blow up? Fire/smoke?!

Hi David,

Tough break on the coolant leak.  My guess is the engine is still OK  if it
only ran for ten minutes.  Depending on the ambient temperature, the
thermostat probably barely had time to open anyway!  First try filling up  the cooling
system with water, then use a pressure tester to find the  leak.  You might
get lucky and find an easy-to-fix hose is just  loose.  Check your engine oil
for signs of coolant contamination. If  the leak is a simple one, fix it, start
the engine, and bleed the cooling  system.  Watch the coolant for signs of
bubbling while running or oily  streaks in it.  Once you are confident the leak
is fixed, you will want to  replace the coolant.  For a lasting repair, you
should replace all the  rubber hoses (like 20 of them), replace all the hose
clamps, replace the water  pump, and check the radiator and fans for operation.
Also make sure the  fans kick on when they should via the otterstat. Replace
the thermostat  too.

I would say most of the people on this list have had a similar thing happen
and their cars run just fine after fixing the leak.  At any rate, you have
now witnessed the reason why you should probably put a thousand dollars into the
 car and overhaul all the critical systems, especially the entire cooling
system  and a really good tune-up.  Low miles definitely do not ensure a perfect
car.  As these cars age, the lower mile cars are becoming the problematic
ones due to a lack of use while the high mile cars are more likely to give
reliable service with little investment since they have probably seen more
maintenance.  They may need more cosmetic work though.

Good luck!  We are here to help.

Andy

In a message dated 12/2/2006 5:41:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,