Re: [DML] Re: Sensors under manifold

I agree with Dave, its a tough  decision to leave "well-enough" alone. I bought two brand new speakers for the back of my Delorean,  $100.00 a pair, and I only put in one speaker in, after tearing out the quarter panel,  pulling the headliner, cutting trim around the door, and testing the other speaker I held out. It's hurts to see a new speaker, sitting in my garage, but I could not (logically) justify the risk. The old speaker has already been rewired and is working fine, not sure how often I will detect the audible difference between the speakers, but if I have to go in later I now have the knowledge and the backup speaker to do so, but no need in disturbing a 25 year old interior for now.

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          At first thought it would seem to be a great idea, replacing a 25 year
old part with a "new" part. Consider this, the part in the car, if it
is working, has a very low failure rate. The "new" part is 25 years
old and may be defective or worse, go bad soon after you install it.
At least the part in your car now has a history of working. I am all
for preventive maintainence but you have to do it thoughtfully.
Sometimes you have to accept the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
philosphy. If, after going into the "Valley of Death" as some call it,
you have to go back in, you will be so much better and faster at it
having been in there. The bolts will not break and everything will be
nice and clean. It is not that deep inside that the sensors can't be
gotten to *relatively* easily. If the logic of replacing 25 year old
parts applyed then replace the water pipe, all the bolts, pulleys,
wiring, etc. Sometimes you have to decide just how much you need (or
want) to do. I hate throwing away good, serviceable parts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. P. Olans" <mpolans@...> wrote:

> Nathan,
> I agree with Johnny. Do it once and do it right. On the small
> chance that something in there DOES fail because of age, do you really
> want to go back in there? Small $ for piece of mind. Hey, if you get
> another 25+ years out of those sensors, you're ahead of the game, r

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)