[DML] Re: Turn Signal stalk

You have probably damaged the turn signal switch. The vendors do not
sell parts to repair it. You have to buy the whole thing including the
wiper switch. There is supposed to be a bend in the arm and it is
supposed to face the driver. You will see the white markings, that is
the side that is supposed to face the driver. The arm is a press-fit
into a white nylon block inside the switch. If the nylon block isn't
cracked there is a possabilty you can fix it. Position the arm as it
is supposed to be, facing the driver. Now force it inwards towards the
steering column back into the nylon part. Don't worry if you break
anything, if this doesn't work you are going to replace it anyway. Do
not try taking the switch apart. Since you can't buy internal parts it
won't do you any good. Besides there are a bunch of springs, contacts,
balls, and detents and they will go flying and you will not find them
all or figure out how to reassemble it anyway. This was probably
damaged when someone forced it getting in or out of the car at some
time in the past.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "auto28cran" <auto28cran@...> wrote:

> Hey group -
>
> Long time DMC Owner (10yrs) and DML lurker.
>
> My '83 D is pretty trouble-free, but last week when I went to take
> her out for a cruise, I accidently bent/moved the turn stalk lever.
> It works just fine (turn signals, horn, high-beams), but in it's
> neutral state, it is angled at the 7-8 o'clock position.  When I use
> it for a left turn (push it down), it hits my left leg - and will not
> stay pushed down due to the lever hitting the bottom of the black
> plastic collar around the steering column.
>
> The stalk appears to have it's natural bend in it - does not look
> like I bent it more than it should be.
>
> From day one, it has always been real loose - feels like it will
> break off - but has not.
>
> Anyone have this happen before - and how do I fix it?  I took the
> black plastic collar around the steering column off to see if it was
> a simple adjustment - did not appear to be.
>
> Any suggestions???
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Chris
> --------
> 1983 Delorean DMC-12 (5-speed / gray interior)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)