[DML] Re: Clutch master cylinder reservoir cap

[DML] Re: Clutch master cylinder reservoir cap

Way back in May, Knut posted this request for a solution for a
pressure bleeder cap to fit the DeLorean's clutch fluid reservoir (hi
Knut!).  I had the same dilemma and as we know, it's tough to find a
cap that works on this reservoir.  Eventually I found a good home-
made solution, then forgot the adapter the one time I needed it since
then and ended up bleeding the clutch line the tedious way.  I've
just now had the opportunity to actually test my adapter and it
worked well!  So, here it goes:

A standard plastic soda bottle cap is a near-perfect fit on the
clutch fluid reservoir.  I think the only reason it's not perfect is
because most soda bottle caps don't have solid threads.  But it's
certainly good enough to screw on and tighten-down, forming a good
seal against the reservoir.  To make a pressure bleeder adapter I
just took a cap, drilled a hole into it and screwed a hose barb into
the cap (which basically self-tapped into the cap).  I then added a
small bead of silicone sealant around the barb to help seal it and
added an o-ring to the inside of the cap for good measure.  By
connecting this creation up to my pressure bleeder, I was able to
bleed the clutch line on the project car (again) leagues faster than
before; and without a helper this time!

It's certainly not the most elegant creation, but it works quite well
and you don't have to destroy a perfectly good (and apparently rare)
clutch fluid reservoir cap to get the job done.  It's also without a
doubt the cheapest tool in my collection.

Photos:

http://tinyurl.com/yha4ez
http://tinyurl.com/y9hx23
http://tinyurl.com/yer2b9

Maybe someone besides us can find a good use for this too.

Travis

> Hi guys,
>
> Over the weekend, I replaced all the brake fluids in my car using my
> new nifty Branick pressure bleeder setup. It is a really slick
> little tool consisting of a tank with a diaphram in the middle of
> it. You fill the brake fluid above the diaphram and hook up the
> fittings to the reservoir, and you pressurize the lower portion of
> the tank with compressed air. The setup then pushes brake fluid into
> the the reservoir and all you have to do is open the petcocks on
> your calipers to have the new fluid pushed through the system.
>
> For use with my brakes, I just bought a spare brake reservoir cap
> and modified it with the proper fitting.
>
> I'd like to flush my clutch hydraulics on my cars next.
> Unfortunately, the cluch reservoir cap seems to be a relatively rare
> item, and I don't want to destroy a rare item as part of making a
> pressure bleeder fitting out of it.
>
> I only need some sort of cap that will screw securely on the clutch
> reservoir to adapt. Does anyone know of some cap that might be
> suitable to this use that will screw securely onto the clutch
> reservoir with a good seal? It does not have to be original (but it
> does have to create a good seal).
>
> Knut

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional