Re: [DML] Re: Parking lot collision advice?

On 10/25/06, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What you suggest is great advice but it just goes against the grain,
>  giving someone flowers for hitting your car! The flowers I might send
>  would be to their funeral after I got done with them if I saw it happen!

Hi David,

Why so hostile??? I'd be upset, too, but most people don't hit your
car on purpose. I'll bet the lady who hit Joe's DeLorean feels worse
about it than he does. No need to make them feel worse by being mean.
:)

BTW, the gift isn't for hitting the car, it's for being a good person
and leaving a note. While I'll agree you shouldn't have to reward
someone for taking responsibility for their own actions - people
should just do that because it's right - the fact of the matter is,
most people won't. It goes against what society tells them. When her
insurance company raises her premium and/or bills her $500 for her
deductable, she might just say to herself, "You know, it wasn't worth
it. Screw this. Next time I hit someone's car and the owner isn't
around to catch me, I'm not leaving a note."

A little token gift of some sort simply reaffirms that, yes, even
though her decision was painful, it was right. Not only that, it was
greatly appreciated by the car's owner, who can now get his car fixed
without pulling money out of his own pocket. You do something like
that and she's much more likely to feel good about her choice and make
the right decision again in the future.

Joe - if you're still reading - do let us know how you make out on
this. I've always been paranoid if something should happen to my car,
the insurance company will refuse to allow DMCH to fix it. I'd settle
for nothing less than shipping the car to DMCH for repairs. I simply
wouldn't let anyone else handle something like this. Everyone I know
who has ever had to deal with insurance companies winds up being
forced to take their car to a budget repair shop who does cheap,
shoddy work. I don't know how the insurance companies get away with
this but I just know I'll wind up in a lawsuit with one some day when
they refuse to ship the car to & from DMCH and otherwise pay to have
it repaired properly.

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional