[DML] Re: test drive-is this 'normal' for deloreans?!?!

[DML] Re: test drive-is this 'normal' for deloreans?!?!

Not every Delorean you find will be in good operating condition no
matter what the seller claims. That said, Deloreans do not have power
steering. Maybe the air pressure in the tires was very low and that
will make the steering hard. It is hard when you are not moving but
when the car is moving it should be easy to steer. The rough idle
means you will have to spend money on the motor to get it to run
correctly, they will idle smooth when properly set up with fresh
parts. If the clutch and brake are very hard to press that can
indicate a problem with them and again more $$$ to fix. The poor
performance will be fixed when you spend $$$ to fix the idle. The
bottom line here is you should find someone locally who has a Delorean
so they can help you. They will know what is "normal" and what is not.
 From your description this car will need everything. If the interior
is bad expect all the mechanical systems to also need work. Try to
spend as much as you can buying the nicest Delorean you can afford. In
the end it is cheaper than buying that "bargain" and spending a lot of
time and money to try to fix it up. Unless that is your plan, to buy a
fixer-upper. The vendors LOVE people like that so you will be treated
very well! (A little Delorean humor!) All kidding aside, check out the
frame. If it is rotted through in the front or the rear you will be
spending big bucks $$$!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "johntaylorny" <johntaylorny@...> wrote:

> Last week I test drove a Delorean for the first time. It was a 1982
> model with 18k miles on it. I've always liked the look for Deloreans
> and for me it was a treat. But what an aweful ride! No power steering,
> break and clutch were as hard as cement to push down.  Very rough
> idle. No pick up.  It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the
> stiffness of the brake and clutch.  After a 30 minute ride my legs

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)