[DML] Re: Horsepower update

The Bosch K-Jet does have some inherent mechanical limitations. For a
stock or mildly modified Delorean they are not worth mentioning. If
you really go wild you will find the air vane in the metering unit is
a restriction and the proportioning system that meters the fuel and
the injectors will not flow enough. If you are going that crazy then
the Bosch K-jet is not for you, you will have to upgrade to an EFI
system that can feed a much bigger engine. A properly functioning
K-Jet ( note the key words here) will serve for 99% of our needs. All
too often people do NOT have a properly functioning system. Does your
car warm up smoothly? Does it kick, buck, have poor gas mileage? Does
it idle nicely hot AND cold? These symptoms can be fuel or ignition
related, not any shortcoming of the system, just a problem with your
particular car. Too many times tuning on a dyno stops, not because of
a tuning issue, but because the car is just not running right and one
of the systems (usually fuel or ignition) has to be fixed (not tuned).
IMHO the fuel system and the ignition system on the Delorean were
state-of-the-art at the time (1981) and are still very useful even today.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan@...> wrote:

> Toby,
>
> We ran several cars on a dyno here in the Chicago area a while back.
I did
> an article in Gullwing on the results. I don't know how Winged1 is
set up,
> but one of the cars we tested was Dave Swingle's bone stock car. It
also
> peaked torque at around 3000 rpm at 138.7 ft-lbs, and horsepower
peaked near
> 100 at about 4900 rpm. We did not run it past 5300 rpm as we could
clearly
> see we were already past the peak HP, and there was no point in going
> further and risking problems.
>
> AFR at 3000 rpm was 13:1, and there was never a hint of detonation.
The car
> was very well fueled across the band. While al lot of people have
put down
> the Bosch CIS, I honestly don't think there is any "inherent
limitation" to
> it in this application, and even if there was, with the design of this
> mechanical system it would not manifest itself as a notch in the A/F
at one
> RPM. I suppose it is possible that the air sensor vane and/or
plunger may

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: