[DML] Extended Convex Mirrors

I just installed Tom's extended convex mirrors with heaters!.....I was a
bit skeptical at first but...damn! They sure do make a difference when
driving.  They make it so you actually use the side mirrors, when before
I would turn around to look to see what was coming on the side of the
car.

The heating option is really sweet, they heated right up and I'm sure
when they get wet or get foggy they will dry up right away.

The instructions were first rate!!!!  Tom, you did an amazing job at the
super detailed instructional PDF from your site.

The one thing you might add for people is the fact that the double sided
adhesive on the back of the mirrors is REALLY, REALLY strong.  There is
no leeway in positioning this stuff. When you are fishing the two wires
into the new hole in the backing plate make sure you don't let the
mirror adhesive touch anything until the mirror is in it's exact
position!!!  It's takes a bit of manipulation to get the two new heater
wires in behind the plate and out of the way of the mirror motor.

Folks this adhesive is so strong that even if it slightly touches the
backing plate it will stick.  I had an "oh crap" moment when installing
it as the mirror touched the plate and it stuck without being in the
right position.  I had to get my putty knife in there to unstick it
withouth pushing too hard to break the glass!

What finally made it easier was to leave the top red guide pin empty.
Since there are only two guide pins, leaving the top empty for space for
the new wires.  The top pin seemed to get in the way of the new wires.

The only installation suggestions I would have Tom is:

1.  Cut the loop of the new wire BEFORE installing it in the car and
solder the new plug ends in a more comfortable location.  I found it
tough to try and do this in the car after pulling them through the
door.  On the first door I soldered it up in the car and it was a bit
cramped.  The other door, I cut the wire in two and did the soldering on
my kitchen table.

2. Instead of trying to fish one wire through the door to pull all the
wires back, I took two pieces of light gauge wire (jute string could
work as well) and tied it to the mirror connecter.  I pulled the mirror
off the car and let the wires come with it.   Upon re-installation I
tied the two longer heater wires to one wire and pulled them through.
The other wire I tied the shorter mirror power connecter and pulled it
through.  It seemed easier than trying to fish a solid piece of wire
through the crazy door innards.  You can't use a really heavy guage wire
as the mirror connector has to fit through a really small hole.

Other than that, this is a great product even if you don't go the extra
step and wire it up for the heater option.  I figured if I didn't like
it heating up I could just unplug it.  But so far, so good!

Thanks Tom for going to extra mile in getting these mirrors made.  It's
a fine example of a product that is well thought out, well made,
a "real" improvement over OEM and has instructions that work and are
fully detailed and leave little room for guessing.

If you missed out on the last batch of these mirrors, one can only hope
that Tom will have more made for those that were on the fence about
getting them.

Tom Watkins

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional