Re: [DML] A/C problem: compressor is not cycling

Re: [DML] A/C problem: compressor is not cycling

Travis,

Does your compressor cycle at higher RPM? Those measurements at 2500 and
3500, are those the numbers you see when the clutch cuts off? If yes then
you don't need to touch the low pressure switch as it is right where it
should be. It should switch the compressor off between 25 and 32 PSI. The
problem is at idle... That might indicate a weak compressor which might be
the result of running it without sufficient amount of oil. On the other hand
you high RPM results are in the high range which might indicate poor cooling
at the condenser. Are both cooling fans running at full speed? Make sure the
fans are well secured on the shaft as sometimes happens that they spin on
the shaft when the metal clip is lost. Is the condenser clean? Do you have
both the front and rear radiator shrouds? Those number might also be a bit
high when the car is not moving and there simply isn't enough air moving
through the radiator.
One last question... at idle when you see 45 and 160 psi, is it a constant
reading or do the needles bounce a lot or vibrate? If they do then you might
have malfunctioning reed valves in the compressor. This might be due to
running the compressor dry, crack in the valve or valve seat or simply
contamination of the system... something might get stuck in the valve and
keep it open.
I think we can move this conversation to direct emails as not to clutter the
list. Email me directly or if you'd like you can send me your phone number.
I can call you and help you over the phone.
I'm sure we can figure out what the problem is and get your A/C as cold as
it should be :)

Good luck

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com