[DML] Ball joint failure in the UK

Afternoon all....

Thought I better post this really just to make everyone aware.

I had a lower front ball joint failure yesterday coming back from the
Car show at Knebworth. Luckily for me it was at very low speed and not
on a main road. I was just turning into my friends drive when all of a
sudden there was a loud bang and the front right of the car dropped
followed by a loud scrapping noise as the lower wishbone dropped onto
the inside of the wheel rim.

Upon investigation it turns out the ball joint broke just where the
thread starts.

The car is now down with DMCL and they're going to do more investigative
work. I haven't changed this part since I bought the car and until we
get the ball joint out I can't say whether it is an original 25 year old
part or not.
But I'll keep everyone informed.

I can tell you now it was a proper mission trying to get a Delorean on
the back of a recovery truck when you can't push it or lift it! It took
nearly 7 hours, 4 AA vehicles, 2 flat beds and one HighAb (lifter) to
finally get the car loaded. One thing I did learn. The Delorean is SO
back heavy that it can't be lifted by those guys that tow you away if
you have parked illegally or have no road tax. Dunno if that is useful
to know or not really!

I guess I'm just lucky it didn't happen at higher speed and that I seem
to have gotten away with just a bit of rubbing on the inside of the
wheel arch and a little damage the wheel rim.

As always, its a good idea with these 25 year old cars to do routine
checks on all the critical areas like suspension and steering.
_________________
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Stuart Nicholls
Emagine Productions
NOW WITH POLECAM.com
T: 01920 461265
F: 01920 465376
E: stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Television - Studio - PSC - ENG - Production - Post Production