Re: [DML] Engine for sale - soon / LPG?

Hi Bob

Thank you for the idea... I did think of it and I don't like it. An engine
designed to run on gasoline doesn't like to run on gas. It will not last as
long, has less power (10 to 30% less), backfires severely from time to time,
and because it's gas not gasoline it can do some real damage (I've seen a
few examples), requires a lot of room for the tank... Besides, they are
talking about putting a tax on gas soon and then the conversion will not
make much sense.
BTW, it's LPG and not natural gas (CNG) that is very common in Poland. I
could try the CNG but it's even less powerful than LPG and storage is a real
pain. LPG is at constant pressure inside the tank regardless of how much you
have in it. Runs at around 20 Bar. CNG pressure changes with the amount of
gas in the tank and varies from about 20 to over 200 Bar. Now that is a
serious pressure. It's good for a bus, not a car unless the car was designed
for this fuel.
LPG is widely available here in Poland, but if they do put a tax on it will
be as expensive as gasoline. For CNG I can use a home filling station but
then it takes hours to fill up a car... usually 8 to 10 hours. And a home
filling station costs about $2k. There is only one CNG filling station in
Warsaw. So that simply makes no sense.
FIY, the prices are:
Gasoline $1.40 per liter - $5.30 per gallon
LPG $0.65 per liter - $2.46 per gallon with 100% tax imminent
Normally a car uses about 20% to 30% more LPG than gasoline.
You then have to add the cost of the conversion... to have it done right you
have to spend about $1500. You can have it done for $500 but I wouldn't
trust them with my D.... You cannot do it yourself as a license is needed
for LPG installation and registration - yes, the installation is checked and
registered and added to the title and registration. A car with LPG installed
cannot park in underground parking lots and garages, cannot get on some
ferries, no Euro tunnel..... and so on.
Using metric measures the calculations look like this:
My DeLorean uses about 10 liters of gasoline for 100km (11l with A/C). It
would use about 13 liters of LPG and about 15 of CNG.
100km on gasoline costs me $14, on LPG $8.45 and soon might cost as much as
$16! with about 20% loss in power.
As you can see I did some research on the subject :) To me an engine swap
seems to be the best option.
A modern engine will use less gas while giving me more power at the same
time and it will not cost me much because I will do all the work myself. I
will just need to hire someone to fabricate a bellhousing for me.

Greetings from Poland!

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com