    From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Warren Wallingford
    Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:34 PM
    To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [DML] Fuse 7 - Engine Control - MELTED

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
    > Yahoo! Groups Links

    The blades of those 'hard candy' fuses are aluminum. They will develop
    an oxide coating fairly quickly. Normally, this is good because the
    coating protects the rest of the piece from deterioration, which iron
    oxide does not. When aluminum is used in electical applications, this
    causes a problem because aluminum oxide does not conduct nearly as well
    as metallic aluminum itself. The oxide causes resistance at the
    connection. Resistance equals heat. We see, then, the phenomenon of a
    fuse position melting apart with the fuse still intact. The remedy is
    to clean, or better, change the fuses regularly. The fuel pump runs
    through fuse #7. This means very high current in this circuit all the
    time the engine is running. As the fuse blades oxidize, the resistance,
    and therefore the heat increases. Soon enough, what ever holds the
    fuse, well-fuses.
    If you want to replace the fuse holder, you should be able to get one at
    a good parts house, NAPA say. If you want to replace the fuse box, we
    have new ones, with cover for $89.95.
    Warren at DMC