Re: [DML] Rear Clunk

Todd Nelson wrote:

> I've had a rear clunk for quite some time and I'm just now getting around to doing something about it.  I am 99% sure I know what the problem is, as it matches every symptom found in this article:
> http://www.lukesandel.com/auto/delorean/repair/Clunk/noclunk.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/n3cn6 <http://tinyurl.com/n3cn6>
>
> I have tried using a Teflon based spray lubricant as suggested (liberally) but the problem remains.  It isn't too obvious from the article where you are supposed to spray the outboard drive shaft, as most of it is hidden in the hub.  It also states that the outboard drive shaft is supposed to slide.  Is this correct?  From what I can tell there is no possible way for this part to move unless something is seriously wrong.  So what is it that is actually moving and how do I get a lubricant on it?
>
> I just recently repacked my CV joints with new grease and boots (wow, that was a mess) to rule that out, so I know that isn't it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Todd Nelson,
> 1561, Vermont
> http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732 <http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732>

> moderators@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Things That Go Clunk in the Rear are normally of two origins: the
training arm bushing and bolt assembly, or the rear bearings.  Generally
if you hear the noise as you turn, it's the bearing.  If the noise
occurs when you change speeds, the TRBs are suspect.

I was always able to fix a rear bearing noise by replacing the bearing
or by squirting lubricant in such a way as to get some inside the hub
carrier between the bearing and the carrier casting.  I had always
thought that the bearing itself was shifting, slightly, in the carrier.
  I don't thinK the stub axle is supposed to move.  That axle nut is on
awfully tight.

There is another thing that can make noise back there.  If that
troublesome nut on the secondary shaft is backing off inside the
transmission, before in machines a hole in the rear cap, it can cause a
clanking noise when the car brakes or accelerates.

Warren at DMC