[DML] Re: Electric Delorean (Wheel Bearing Failure)

[DML] Re: Electric Delorean (Wheel Bearing Failure)

KAYO makes a very good point here about no tell-tale "noise"
from what was supposedly an impending wheel bearing failure.

Having experienced a catastrophic wheel bearing failure in a
DeLorean (with a nearly completely collapsed bearing), there
is a very distinct "howling" of the failing bearing that can
be detected in advance of the failure, especially if you are
driving a DeLorean with the windows down and the radio off.
This would be even easier to detect with an electric motor.

The one piece of information that does seem to be consistent
with a possible wheel bearing failure is that the DeLorean
used for the "science experiment" was a low mileage DeLorean.
I have seen several low mileage DeLoreans, that sat for many
years, have wheel bearing failures within a few hundred miles
after they were put back into driving condition.

So, if there is anything useful to take from the Tilley posts,
its to inspect your DeLorean wheel bearings as part of your
regular safety inspections.  Wheel bearing failures can be as
intense as a trailing arm bolt failure and it can obviously
cause damage to you car, yourself and others when it happens.
Play it safe, inspect your DeLorean often, at least annually.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "K.L. (KAYO) Ong" <klo@...> wrote:

> Very interesting news.
>
> snip
>
>  What
> was strange was that the electric DeLorean had developed a bad
rear
> wheel bearing.  I said strange because, for all those laps
generated,
> it was beginning to equal to the approximately the time for the
> batteries to expire.  Everyone was anxiously expecting the vehicle
> die out, including myself for his device can't really work?
>
> Or did Carl Tilley conveniently planned it as many believed, for
> there was no noise coming from the bearing nor did the bearing
> collapsed?   So, out of the blue, he announced that his DeLorean
was
> crippled and the DeLorean cannot be driven any farther.  Carl
Tilley