Re: [DML] Specifications on Purflux LS 410C

Re: [DML] Specifications on Purflux LS 410C

This is, of course, why I asked the question..

We have been told for many years that it was best to
stick with the Purflux filter even though there are
plenty of cross-reference filters available at the
local wallmart or autozone.

I recall at some point in the past 14 years of
DeLorean ownership that it had something to do with
the bypass valve, or anti-drain valve.  Not sure
exactly what it was that made the Purflux the
"correct" filter for our DeLoreans. However, I clearly
remember being warned a number of times about problems
associated with cross-reference filters.

They are available in Europe (the Purflux).  I found
some for sale in Germany and France, but the cost to
ship them exceeds the cost of the filter!  Not to
mention, the exchange rate is NOT in our favor right
now.   It is a good bet that this is why they are not
available here any more.

Having given up on the idea of getting some real
Purflux filters, the next best thing is to find a
cross-reference.  Wix has a large number of
"hydraulic" filters with and without bypass valves,
and drainback valves.  It is a good bet we can find
something that will have similar specifications to the
Purflux. IF, we only knew what they were!

Or, is it a waste of time?  Have we been mislead all
these years, and the Purulator filter at Wal-mart for
$3 is just as good as the Purflux we have been
spending $15 each for?

John has been selling the Bosch filters for years.  I
understand this is the filter that the "proper
vendors" are now also selling.  I mean no disrespect
to anyone but, can any of the vendors (proper, or
otherwise) explain what makes the Bosch any better
than a Wix (NAPA gold)?  or Puralator?

IIRC, someone told me the Bosch filter now being sold
for the DeLorean is the 72150 (please correct me if I
am wrong), however the link below shows the proper PRV
filter to be a 72138.  Maybe this site is old, and the
numbers changed?

http://www.peugeotclub.org/ofilter.html

Does anyone have specifications to compare the 72150
vs 72138?

And, many Internet sites dealing with the topic of oil
filters claim the Bosch filters that are "made in USA"
are a "champion" made filter that is labeled Bosch
(not the same as the German made counter part).  The
implication here is that a "Made in USA" Bosch filter
is lower quality than one would expect.

My motivation here is that 1860 will need an oil
change soon, and considering the uniqueness of the
Legend engine, I'd like to make sure I don't blow it
up with a crappy filter.

This link has been passed around befor:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

BTW: X-Ref for a Volvo 760 from Baldwin looks to be a
B233.  Anyone wanna try one?  :)

http://mail.yahoo.com