[DML] Delorean Found: Vin 11227

I took a look at a Delorean today.  Its located about 2 miles from my
house.  The story is, an older guy owns it who is starting to lose
his mind a bit.  He bought it new in 1982.  One of his sons also
bought one at the same time, and from what i'm told is one number
different in VIN.  The older guy hasn't driven it in many many
years.  The car only has 3000 miles.  For those that post to
www.dmctalk.com I have pictures of the car there.  Below is my write
up of the car.  The kids of this older guy wants him to sell it.
We'll see what happens.  If anyone is SERIOUSLY interested in it,
please contact me at dmcerik(at)yahoo.com.  I'm probably going to
start working on the car to get it going, but if someone is
interested in it, as is, please let me know.

1982
VIN: 11227
Miles: 3000
Trans: Manual
Hood: Flat
Tires: Original NCT's
Interior: Grey

The cars battery is dead, so fortunately he wasn't able to turn it
over. he did say that he started it up this past spring and it
sounded good. The engine looks nice. Still has the original coolant
bottle. All the hoses and lines look original but still soft.

The frame looks great! Very clean. Its obvious that it hasn't seen a
Michigan winter. I'm going to guess that its been in the rain though.
There is surface rust on the springs, sway bar, axles, brake
calipers. Things like that. The upper/lower control arms look good.
They are still black. They do have a few patches of surface rust, but
nothing bad at all.

The truck looks good. The fiberglass all around looks great. It still
has all the original tools and jack in it.

All the glass looks good. No scratches, chips, cracks.

The rear louver has a crack in it. Overall it looks good though. No
fading.

The front and rear fascias look very nice and are original. The rear
fascia has a mark on it on the passenger side. not sure from what.

The interior looks very nice. The seats are a big hard, but aren't
cracked or faded. Leatherique would bring them back to life. The
carpet is ok. To me it looks faded, but I don't think it actually is.
Its a lighter grey than what I'm used to seeing, but its consistant
through out. The battery at one point leaked and the carpet around
that area is ruined. You can't really notice it unless you look
behind the seats. The dash and binnicle are great with no cracks or
browning. Original radio. I found a mouse next in the electrical
area. I went over all the connections and the mouse didn't eat
through anything back there. Just made a home. He did eat a hole in
the cargo net and near the bottom corner of the passenger seat.
Either that, or that part just broke apart a bit. The stitching has
come undo, about 1inch.

The stainless is dirty, but looks great. I did notice a few very
minor dimples. It may have come off the boat that way.

The door, louver and hood struts are shot. The door struts came from
a place in Santa Ana California. Some Swedish Delorean shop....anyone
know of that place? The others were the lift-o-matic struts.

The headliners are off and located in the trunk. They have been
stripped of their fabric. So that means I got to look at the cave
markings. The doors have the same vin as the car. Thats about it.
Some other markings but you can view those yourself below.

Overall, the car is a very nice car that just needs to be gone over,
fluids replaced, systems checked/replaced as needed. It needs new
tires obviously. This would make a very nice show car and possible
concourse car if someone put the energy into it.

He wants to get it to the point where he could sell it for around
$22K. As it sits I would say its about a $16K car. Only because it
hasn't been gone through. I really dont' think it will take much to
bring this car back onto the road. He has started it regularly so it
doesn't have bad gas in it. Thats good.

He has my number and I've told them that I'd be happy to get this up
and running for them, and to help sell if they would like. Hopefully
they act on that and don't let it sit any longer. Its too nice of a
car to be sitting there doing nothing.

The sister car to this one (bought at the same time in 1982) is
located in Milwaukee, Wi and is either 11226 or 11228. He doesn't
drive that one much either and is probably just sitting in his
garage. That one has 6K miles on it.

Erik